It's a Hardback Life (Book Chat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, is that story anything like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451? Neither of which I've read but maybe if I had, I would have bought enough TP, which I didn't, and the 5-sheet maximum pull per sitting wouldn't be a real story at my casa 😩 struggles, man
5 sheet maximum 😂

Hmm, is that story anything like 1984 or Fahrenheit 451? Neither of which I've read but maybe if I had, I would have bought enough TP, which I didn't, and the 5-sheet maximum pull per sitting wouldn't be a real story at my casa 😩 struggles, man
I liked Fahrenheit 451, but I actually thought 1984 was overrated. :oops:

Hey fellow bibliophile. Awesome thread! I probably read 125 books last year. We moved onto a homestead with no electricity, so it was books or instruments, or books for learning instruments. :) Now I have solar power but still read a lot. I enjoy fantasy and science fiction(particularly dystopian), regular fiction, suspense, nature or history related non fiction, and practical(barnyard in your backyard) non fiction.
Favorite authors include Tolkien, Rowling, J.R.R Martin, Orwell, Bradbury, Orson Scott Card, Chuck Palahniuk, Wally Lamb, Stephen King, Gouglas Adams, Joel Saladin, Hunter S. Thompson etc.

Some books I feel are very important: Fight Club, The Simirillion, Folks This Ain't Normal, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

This month I reread Ready Player One(dystopian fiction), Barnyard in Your Backward(non-fiction), Our Wild Calling(nature non-fiction) and Fire and Blood, a game of thrones supplement.

Recently ive been most mind blown by Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Took him almost 40 years to complete the seven books, and boy what a story! I have never met anyone irl who has read it. I want to talk about it! Any of you guys complete the saga?

Me too. I feel like Fahrenheit 451 was more bang for the buck too, like it was shorter and an easier read, while also able to cram more ideas in without being crowded in information and lacking in subtlety that 1984 kind of had going on.
Plus, the main character of 1984 was just weird. Unpredictable, overemotional, and creepy.

Plus, the main character of 1984 was just weird. Unpredictable, overemotional, and creepy.
I think both these book are important. 451 was definitely more approachable, easier to get through, and had a more digestible trajectory. I think 1984 makes people uncomfortable in its lack of subtlety and soul crushing ending. Both authors were visionaries who wrote of a future dystopia eerily similiar in ways to our current society. In 451 though, there's still a light of hope for humanity. Not so much in 11984.

I think both these book are important. 451 was definitely more approachable, easier to get through, and had a more digestible trajectory. I think 1984 makes people uncomfortable in its lack of subtlety and soul crushing ending. Both authors were visionaries who wrote of a future dystopia eerily similiar in ways to our current society. In 451 though, there's still a light of hope for humanity. Not so much in 11984.
I thought the plot was interesting (albeit unhappy, like you said). I simply couldn't get past the strangeness of the main character—though perhaps it was intended as a commentary of how living like that could change a person.

Hey fellow bibliophile. Awesome thread! I probably read 125 books last year. We moved onto a homestead with no electricity, so it was books or instruments, or books for learning instruments. :) Now I have solar power but still read a lot. I enjoy fantasy and science fiction(particularly dystopian), regular fiction, suspense, nature or history related non fiction, and practical(barnyard in your backyard) non fiction.
Favorite authors include Tolkien, Rowling, J.R.R Martin, Orwell, Bradbury, Orson Scott Card, Chuck Palahniuk, Wally Lamb, Stephen King, Gouglas Adams, Joel Saladin, Hunter S. Thompson etc.

Some books I feel are very important: Fight Club, The Simirillion, Folks This Ain't Normal, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

This month I reread Ready Player One(dystopian fiction), Barnyard in Your Backward(non-fiction), Our Wild Calling(nature non-fiction) and Fire and Blood, a game of thrones supplement.

Recently ive been most mind blown by Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Took him almost 40 years to complete the seven books, and boy what a story! I have never met anyone irl who has read it. I want to talk about it! Any of you guys complete the saga?
I have not read it, but maybe I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom