Its always something...

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
I was just being entertained by the flock pecking on the basement window. I was looking out at them when one of the girls stepped into view. her bottom jaw is a red and puffy and the spot between the bill & throat a bruised up and red looking. she moves her jaw like she's been in a fight? seems kinda stiff and swollen around the rest of her lower face.I post pics in a bit

goose-neck3.jpg

goose-neck2.jpg

goose-neck.jpg

the more I look at her the more her whole face seems swollen. her jaw & delap are really wide & puffy.

anyone have any clue what I'm looking at?

I guess it could be traumatic injury of some kind, which caused the swelling, but I suppose it also could be an infection or abscess -- maybe under the tongue? Or maybe a swollen salivary gland or an impacted salivary duct? I don't know if geese could get some of those things, but they have the same basic structures as humans in the mouth and throat, and those are some of the things that could cause this in humans. No teeth, so we know its not an abscessed tooth.

Quote:
I suppose that is a possibility too, bee or wasp or some other stinging creature.

well we have been watching her close all day. seems to be eating fine. dunno about it being a sting? seems to be swollen on both side equally. that would be a hell of a sting to do that. I was thinking it was related to her crop? I dunno where the opening is in relation to her mouth though?

Looks like she tried to chew a bee or a wasp and it stung her inside her mouth. My geese have always tried to nibble on insects, and once one of them got stung by a bumble bee. It looked very similar to your picture. The swelling went down after a few days.

They never eat the bees, just chew them and spit them out.

If you look in the corner just where her bill touches her feathers under her chin on the pics - looks like blood. Could it be an injury - may have gotten head stuck in fence or something punctured her mouth?

Hvae you' opened her mouth to see if anything is in there stuck or lodged - stick or something??

Looks like where the bill starts under her chin in the photos was impact area --- check it out thoroughly. I swear I see some dried blood in the pic....

Anyone else see this??

Yes there is a bit of dried blood. I have a hunch she had vomited it up. there was a pink hue on her feathers as well down her neck. I think i am going to take the swallowed wasp angle and check her for that. we have loads of them here and didn't think it could have been an issue.

Back
Top Bottom