It's cold outside.

marywatts

Hatching
Apr 2, 2015
Willcox Arizona
I have three bourbon reds, two hens and a tom. They were all born in April. They have a coop(shed with a roost) and an enclosed yard. I live in rural southeastern Arizona and we are getting cold nights (even a hard freeze or two ) these turkeys are sleeping outside. They have slept in the coop but now I see them outside at night. Any ideas ?

I have bourbon reds, born in July, and I live in the mountains outside Albuquerque. We're already down to below 20 degrees and some of my birds are roosting in trees unless its raining. They have a barn and the chickens and guineas roost in there with some of the turkeys but there are always a few outside unless its wet. Some of the chickens and guineas were in trees before it got cold but they have gone in now.

I think as long as they have a warm, sheltered place, and they know how to get into it, then its up to them if they want to sleep in the trees.

I live in northern NM and it is really, really cold here! My Rio Grandes continue to sleep in the trees, although they have other warmer places to sleep.

I'm in Wisconsin, we have wild turkeys that survive outside year round, turkeys are really hardy, my domestic turkeys go out all winter long, the do stay inside on -30--40, days, 20 degrees is a comfortable temperature for them, I wouldn't worry, turkeys know when to seek better shelter.

Our two get to sleep with us on cold nights in Northern New Mexico we're getting down around 14 at night young turkeys prefer to warm (90-100 degrees) adults can handle it much cooler of course (they do in the wild) but our two are our pets

Turkeys handle cold very well. They can also handle wet weather very well. But, the cold and wet combined will quickly kill them. No where in AZ will it ever get too cold for turkeys (much better than our 120 degree summers)

Our two get to sleep with us on cold nights in Northern New Mexico we're getting down around 14 at night young turkeys prefer to warm (90-100 degrees) adults can handle it much cooler of course (they do in the wild) but our two are our pets

I'm in northern NM also. My turkeys roost in the trees. Are you in the eastern or western part of the state? I'm in north eastern NM

Between Albuquerque and Farmington, between Cuba and Jemez Springs. Our two can be outside and do ok, but as I mentioned they are our pets and just as you wouldn't leave your dog outside on a cold night we don't make our turkeys stay outside. I still intend to share pictures of our kids just need life to slow down a little.

Back
Top Bottom