It's cold tonight, should I bring them in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ears73, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I have two Polish chicks in a large crate (sides buffered from possible drafts with heavy plastic and top covered over with double waterproof plastic backed picnic blanket, deep shavings on the floor) inside a 10x10x6 coop that has 15 other 5 month old to one year old chickens roosting.

I do not know the exact age of the Polish (around 2.5 or 3 months?), but they look fully feathered and have a fairly full crown (have not had polish before so I don't know if the head feathers come late or not). They have been outside for a week (nights and days) but it has not gotten down this cold yet (30° tonight, coop usually is 5° higher). The polish had been sleeping in a bunch of 10 chicks until three days ago when we brought them home.

My question is this:
    Should I run out there and have them spend the night inside the house tonight (where they would be way too warm)? Coop is insulated, has a deep layer of shavings, all those other birds and plastic over the windows/door gaps, etc. They should be ok, right??

2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Keep them out. If they are fully feathered, they will be fine. Feel under their wings...they are SO WARM! YOu will do more harm if you bring them in...then back out in the cold in the morning. Let them acclimate. They are definitely old enough.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think they'll be fine, mine, most older, but I have some young guinea's in the coop, do just fine and we've gone way lower than that in temp - so far the coldest was 27 a few nights ago - my guinea's are only about 8-10 weeks or so. (with momma hen - but they all sleep up on the roost)

4. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    excellent! Thanks much!

5. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hello! I have my 4 blue cochins and 1EE out in a cage in the coop with the big boys & girls, they've been doing fine, they are 11 wks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by