It's complicated

If it is in their system, then how would I treat them? With corid? I heard that treating birds for coccidiosis is very stressful on the bird. I also heard that I can treat for coccidiosis using herbs that they consume/ingest.

Treatment with Corid is very safe. Treatment with sulfa antibiotics is harder on them.

-Kathy

The one dose of Wazine will kill roundworms, if they drink enough. Your follow up dose of Safeguard will treat the roundworms that hatched, and cecal worms, but only if you gave enough... it will *not* treat capillary worms or gapeworms. Capillary and gapes need Safeguard for several days in a row.

-Kathy

Good to know. Thank you. I probably should have been a little clearer on the wazine. I follow my first dose of wazine with a second dose of wazine ten or so days later. The next round of de-worming, usually in a couple of months I switch to the white womer and follow that in ten days or so with a second round of the white. How often in a years time do you feel it is necessary to do a five day regimen of the white. I also raise goats and there is also an alarm out re: resistance and under dosing Some tests starting to show safeguard no longer effective in goats. Hopefully the peas will do better.

The one dose of Wazine will kill roundworms, if they drink enough. Your follow up dose of Safeguard will treat the roundworms that hatched, and cecal worms, but only if you gave enough... it will *not* treat capillary worms or gapeworms. Capillary and gapes need Safeguard for several days in a row.

-Kathy

Good to know. Thank you. I probably should have been a little clearer on the wazine. I follow my first dose of wazine with a second dose of wazine ten or so days later. The next round of de-worming, usually in a couple of months I switch to the white womer and follow that in ten days or so with a second round of the white. How often in a years time do you feel it is necessary to do a five day regimen of the white. I also raise goats and there is also an alarm out re: resistance and under dosing   Some tests starting to show safeguard no longer effective in goats. Hopefully the peas will do better.

Ah, that makes more sense! I've read that goats are getting harder to worm, which is disturbing. As for the five day worming, I think it depends on what worms one has. Mine probably get the 5 day just once a year.

-Kathy

Ah, that makes more sense! I've read that goats are getting harder to worm, which is disturbing. As for the five day worming, I think it depends on what worms one has. Mine probably get the 5 day just once a year.

-Kathy

I just finished a five day regimen of safeguard for my peas. Is it necessary to do a full five day regimen in ten days or so when the worm eggs hatch or is one or two days enough to kill the newly hatched worms?

I just finished a five day regimen of safeguard for my peas. Is it necessary to do a full five day regimen in ten days or so when the worm eggs hatch or is one or two days enough to kill the newly hatched worms?

That's the way I always heard it, but IDK for sure. @casportpony , what's your practice?

Back
Top Bottom