Its day 22 and no sign of eggs piping i can hear them chirping

Felicity02

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2021
Hi it's my first time hatching, its day 22 I can hear them chirping away but no pips, am I being to impatience

Hi it's my first time hatching, its day 22 I can hear them chirping away but no pips, am I being to impatience
I'm not expert but maybe had the temperature too low. The incubator machines need calibrating when you get them. They are alive if you hear noise. Just be patient assist if it's a panic chirp after they've pipped

Welcome to the BYC community!

How did you count? The day you put the eggs in the incubator does not count, so maybe they are on time and you just got mixed up counting.

Don't open the brooder, just sit on your hands and give them time. Intervening at this point in time can ruin everything.

Yup, being impatient... wait, wait, and wait some more. Read up on intervention and the hatching process. If you think there's a problem, wait as long as you can stand before even thinking about opening that brooder, then add on a few extra hours.

They may have pipped internally - they take a big break after that to acclimatize to breathing and may not be on the move again for hours, then you may just get a proper pip with another huge wait while they absorb the yolk sack. Give them heaps of time. Hatching can be a very long, drawn out process. Some can take over a day from external pip to zip.

Larger breeds can run late and smaller breeds can run early... Differences in temp over the incubation can slow things down too.

Be patient. It sounds like you'll be a chicken momma very soon.

Humidity saturation is based on surface volume. If your humidity tray doesn't have much surface area, you can add sponges, damp towels etc to get it going up quickly. Will really depend on how low it's gotten.

Check for gaps in the lid etc, where it may be escaping.

Back
Top Bottom