It's Done!! Not Near as Nice as Others on the Forum but It's Done

Drilling another hole closer to the 45 degree elbows may help. The chooks will peck at it which should help it flow on its own. That said, unless it is picked completely empty and no flow, I'd leave it as is. You'd probably be better off (less waste) if the girls have to stick their heads in a bit further to get at the feed.

Looks good! Better than mine and it can get cold up here. Perhaps put a solid side on the roosting areas where you want them to sleep. Like a lean to type on the edges facing the direction of wind/the outside edges. For two reasons, keep draft off and to prevent crafty coon or pred fingers from reaching in and pulling your birds out through wire.

I think that putting 2x4" wire over the chicken wire will make it very secure, except for those durn mice. I also think you are going to have problems with rain getting into the nest boxes and the feed. If it were me I would put a metal roof over the whole thing, if you only do part the wind with the rain will still cause problems. And some hardware cloth along where the top roost is, as has been said, will keep critters from reaching in. Good job and very nice!

Last edited:
I think you did a wonderful job! I agree with everyone else that you need to reinforce the chicken wire; multiple predators can rip through it with ease.

I also think that your chickens like the safer feeling of the nest boxes when roosting. If you can cover the roosts and maybe even put sides on them, it might encourage them to roost there instead.

I've lived with poopy eggs... it's no fun and gets frustrating real fast. I had to move my roosts up even higher and now all my chickens use the roost and not the nest boxes.

I have been waiting on the first hard rain. It's been dry as a bone here in Houston area since Ike. If the rain will intrude into the area, I was thinking of maybe boxing the nesting/roosting area. After reading the replies, it's a lock now. Looks like a trip to the lumber store for some more material.

Two reasons that quite possibly might be why they're roosting in the boxes not on the roost: they may want somewhere more enclosed-feeling (for feeling more protected, or for warmth including protection against night breezes); and they may find the "pointy" corner of the 2x2 uncomfortable. A 2x4 placed flat side up, higher than the nest boxes, would be a good start, and if you can enclose an area for protection from drafts and weather and put the roost in *that* then I am positive you will be golden
smile.png

Looks nice though! Congrats
smile.png

Pat

lovely job!
thumbsup.gif

once you have enclosed their roosting area and turned that 2x4 to the flat side, you could try going out every night for about a week to place each hen on the roost after they fall asleep. That often works to re-train them.

I like it! But also like some others I believe it should have more cover for the birds in the roosting area. Can't wait to see when you do that.

The PVC feeder is wonderful! I made one also but I put too sharp of an angle on mine and the feed doesn't flow at all. Once they eat everything in the tube it still doesn't come down and I have to shake it a lot. So back to the drawing board on that plan for me! Like you, I think more angle would be best. Right now mine is long enough I can fill it every day along with a hopper. There are plenty of birds that so I have to have 2 feeders anyhow but really plan to build another 4" PVC feeder.

Back
Top Bottom