It's Done!

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Aivituvin large duck coop :
Added sealant, caulking, linoleum plank peel stick flooring,extra roost,extra ventilation, window awning,additional run, hardware cloth everywhere.

3 six -week easter eggers: Willow, Mia, Bella

How do I get them out of the run and into the coop for bedtime?

Attachments

• IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 23
  • AA52A390-63BD-41FE-BD91-8AB8D31499C1.jpeg
    AA52A390-63BD-41FE-BD91-8AB8D31499C1.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5578.jpeg
    IMG_5578.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5578.jpeg
    IMG_5578.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 20
  • AA52A390-63BD-41FE-BD91-8AB8D31499C1.jpeg
    AA52A390-63BD-41FE-BD91-8AB8D31499C1.jpeg
    741.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5573.jpeg
    IMG_5573.jpeg
    811.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 24
Wait until dark when they are asleep (about an hour after dark) in the run then move them to the coop. You may have to do this 3, 4, 5 times but they will get it.
It's difficult to crawl into the run. I brought them inside...thinking that tomorrow in the day we will keep them in the coop for a bit before showing them ramp. I also added their new bedding (hemp instead of pine) into their brooder so they get use to that tonight.. They are currently pecking through it. Tomorrow throughout the day we will lure them up and down the ramp. Hopefully they will go in there to sleep. But the roost with the poop board is the highest roost in there. I don't know if they will be able to flutter from floor to roost to board to roost.

Locking them in for a week will help home them to the coop but as mentioned it's not safe to do so unless you have fairly moderate temperatures in the forecast.
It's difficult to crawl into the run.
That's the downside to really low runs. Does the roof open up or something for maintenance or in case you need to get inside in an emergency?

Also I noticed the corner of the run at least isn't properly aproned, the 5th photo with the chicks at the feeder. Aprons need to extend around corners as well, I specifically had an attempted breech in a corner.

Locking them in for a week will help home them to the coop but as mentioned it's not safe to do so unless you have fairly moderate temperatures in the forecast.

That's the downside to really low runs. Does the roof open up or something for maintenance or in case you need to get inside in an emergency?

Also I noticed the corner of the run at least isn't properly aproned, the 5th photo with the chicks at the feeder. Aprons need to extend around corners as well, I specifically had an attempted breech in a corner.
I think its too hot to keep them in. I was thinking to take them out to the coop tomorrow for an hour or so, then have them exit the coop using the ramp. We will place them on the perches and have them kick around in the hemp as well. Hopefully they will enjoy the larger space. We will scoot them toward the ramp throughout the day using food to lure them up. Hopefully this will help them acclimate.

That picture was taken before the completion of the cloth. That was a hard task to complete! Ill post an updated picture when my phone has battery. But this section actually is attached to the prefab run, so we ran a long piece at that edge. all corners are taken care of as well.

the roof opens at 2 areas and there are 3 access doors in front. we can use a rake to access all the areas. My youngest can still crawl into the run and sit there as well if needed.

I could not tell from the pictures. Do you have your coop anchored or tied down in case of high winds? 🤔 sorry, weather is a thing with me. Always thinking at least a season ahead when it comes to protecting my girls.

I could not tell from the pictures. Do you have your coop anchored or tied down in case of high winds? 🤔 sorry, weather is a thing with me. Always thinking at least a season ahead when it comes to protecting my girls.
We used concrete glue to attach plywood to the concrete blocks, then we used the same glue to attach the coop base to the plywood. It's also attached to the run using screws. Fingers crossed its not going anywhere. It's quite heavy as well.the run is attached with zip ties to the other run, which is attached to the ground using anchors.

I added an extra picture so you get a clear picture of the entire build.

Back
Top Bottom