It's Frozen!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by amyfitz100, Feb 18, 2015.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Everything is frozen! I wish kids would quit singing that song! It's going to be 10° tonight and 5° tomorrow and that is NOT normal where I live. Brrr. So what do I do with my chickens? They are locked up in the coop (with a small heat lamp) tonight, but do I open the pop door in the morning before work? Should I put their food/water in the coop with them instead of in the run? Haven't had to deal with temps this cold before...

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Turn off the heat lamp - they often cause fires.

Leave the pop up door OPEN all night and day.

Think DRY not warm, think of five people in a car without the engine running, immediately moisture builds up inside the car. Moisture equals COLD, a dry bird can take a lot of cold, but a wet one is miserable and sick.

Fresh air, dry bedding and shelter from the prevailing wind.

Mrs K

3 people like this.
  3. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Okay, thanks! They have two windows on opposite walls in addition to the vets near the ceilings. One window is only a screen, and the other is a regular window that I have partially open to a screen. They seem to get a lot of ventilation. And it is CRAZY windy tonight. I will be sure and open the door (and replace the frozen water!) before I leave for work. Thanks a bunch! I feel better already.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Ditto what Mrs. K. said.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just make sure they can get out of any wind/draft strong enough to ruffle feathers and disturb their 'insulation'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by