It's going to be super cold.

Zaz,thanks for your concern. All 9 of our German Shepherd dogs have been over-fed and watered good.Had one female 8 yrs old we had spayed yesterday that I had to pick up this morning,she is inside the house with us for the next few days,along with another older alpha female that hates everyone,especially other female gsd's. Fridge is full,have a few bottles of Merlot chill'in,and the fireplace is ready to be lit later on. I only hope we do not lose power when it gets cold later. Our water pipes will freeze easy if it's 18 below out here.I adjust each water faucet so there is a small stream coming out,turning on both hot and cold water but if power goes out,the well pump will stop,and then the list will be bigger very fast. We have a kerosene heater ready too. Now we wait.Supposed to begin snowing here after dark thru noon tomorrow.

Take care, all of you cold weather people and peas!
hugs.gif

Sending some of this your way from CA:

fl.gif
I will keep my fingers crossed as well as keep you and yours in my prayers, i was without eletricity for a month once because of a hurricane, it was challenging but i really kinda enjoyed it, i know i could live just fine off the grid if i needed to.

Batten down the hatches and keep us posted and if we do not hear from you then who do we call? Ya know in case ya need to get dug out n all
hide.gif

We have some snow. The temp is 10• and the wind chill is below 0•! I am going to ck on my birds and feed and water them. I hate to open their house though!

I closed up all the coops last night...glad I did because it's -18! It was only supposed to be around zero...I guess when it's cold it's cold. The sun is out and no wind thankfully...it's a gorgeous day from my window:)

We're still moving here. We can't see to the road which is about 100' from our front door. So much snow has fallen we can't hardly get the front door open.I did look towards my outside water hydrant by my garden,,can't see it and it's about 3' out of the ground.Our lane that was plowed out yesterday has since blown back full of snow and is a level 3' deep it's entire 100' length. I have not done chores today yet,but as the afternoon progresses sooner or later getting outside and making the rounds has to be done,and it's getting colder here. Tonight the revised temp is 14 below with winds continually gusting to 40mph plus.Windchills now revised to between 40-50 below zero. I know my adults inside the Pea Palace building will be fine,same with the 30 or so chickens inside the chickenhouse.

I have 2 outta 3 groups of younger peas that's still giving me anxiety. First my coming 2 year olds,that I locked inside a coop 2 days ago already. This coop is 16'x8' in size with 4 individual "rooms" inside it,each being 8'x4'. It is 24" off the ground I put about 15 birds each into the 2 middle compartments. It's not that old and when I open the door to get inside to feed and water,I've noticed it is warmer inside there,than outside.There is no heat lites inside these two compartments. My next group is my 2013 hatched which is outside in a 16'x12' building with a front fully enclosed pen that has a metal roof over the outside pen. The pen and building are on a concrete slab,and I put grass hay down over the concrete for these 40 or so birds. There is a perch inside large enough for everyone to sit on,but so far only my ornamental pheasants that hatched this summer uses the perch.I have 2-250 watt infared heat lites on inside this building. My last group is about 15 peachicks that hatched in Sept-Oct that are considerable smaller in size. I have 2 8'x4' pens built in one corner of my garage,both off the floor where these younger-smaller chicks are at. Garage isn't heated but they do have a 125 heat lite inside the cage.These peas I'm not too concerned about.

I prepared as best I could yesterday,making sure everyone was fed and watered good,added more hay on the floor,ect. I added the second heat lite in the building and switched out 125 watt heat bulbs for the 250 watters. Tonight will be the worst I think with the blowing and super cold air coming down from the north. It's getting closer to doing chores and I need to "do the deed".

celebrate.gif
Glad ya'll are ok but man that is alot of snow in a short period of time, how do folks get to work when it is like this?
How humid did it feel in the warm compartments?

We're still moving here. We can't see to the road which is about 100' from our front door. So much snow has fallen we can't hardly get the front door open.I did look towards my outside water hydrant by my garden,,can't see it and it's about 3' out of the ground.Our lane that was plowed out yesterday has since blown back full of snow and is a level 3' deep it's entire 100' length. I have not done chores today yet,but as the afternoon progresses sooner or later getting outside and making the rounds has to be done,and it's getting colder here. Tonight the revised temp is 14 below with winds continually gusting to 40mph plus.Windchills now revised to between 40-50 below zero. I know my adults inside the Pea Palace building will be fine,same with the 30 or so chickens inside the chickenhouse.

I have 2 outta 3 groups of younger peas that's still giving me anxiety. First my coming 2 year olds,that I locked inside a coop 2 days ago already. This coop is 16'x8' in size with 4 individual "rooms" inside it,each being 8'x4'. It is 24" off the ground I put about 15 birds each into the 2 middle compartments. It's not that old and when I open the door to get inside to feed and water,I've noticed it is warmer inside there,than outside.There is no heat lites inside these two compartments. My next group is my 2013 hatched which is outside in a 16'x12' building with a front fully enclosed pen that has a metal roof over the outside pen. The pen and building are on a concrete slab,and I put grass hay down over the concrete for these 40 or so birds. There is a perch inside large enough for everyone to sit on,but so far only my ornamental pheasants that hatched this summer uses the perch.I have 2-250 watt infared heat lites on inside this building. My last group is about 15 peachicks that hatched in Sept-Oct that are considerable smaller in size. I have 2 8'x4' pens built in one corner of my garage,both off the floor where these younger-smaller chicks are at. Garage isn't heated but they do have a 125 heat lite inside the cage.These peas I'm not too concerned about.

I prepared as best I could yesterday,making sure everyone was fed and watered good,added more hay on the floor,ect. I added the second heat lite in the building and switched out 125 watt heat bulbs for the 250 watters. Tonight will be the worst I think with the blowing and super cold air coming down from the north. It's getting closer to doing chores and I need to "do the deed".

According to the wether map you are still getting a lot of snow! It has quit here and is just getting colder and colder.....

Back
Top Bottom