It's going to be super cold.

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
My barn is very large so body heat really doesn't factor in to keeping my coop warm. Just not enough poultry in my space for that. I won't do heat lamps either. It's going to be around -15 here tomorrow. So my question is should I bring my peacocks into our garage? It's usually a fair amount warmer than the barn. I know they aren't really cold weather birds.

My barn for the peas this past winter wasn't insulated and they did fine when it got -20 and even below that. I talked to Craig Hopkins of Hopkins livestock (who I got my peas from ) and he says the India blue do fine in the cold but to build a heated roost...So I did. But beings yours are used to your barn I don't know if they'd roost someplace new even if you gave them one. Do you have IB or green peas? He did say the greens need someplace warm to be.
If your peas don't mind being handled, I guess you could move them if it would make you feel better.

We're moving all our peas inside for the winter tomorrow night after dark.I know some peoples aviaries has small buildings peas can go into when the weather is bad,but their peas still stayed outside and roosted on their perches depsite the sub zero temps with blowing winds. My Pea building isn't heated but the perches are all 2"x6"'s laid flat so the bird can keep it's entire foot covered when they are sitting down on the perch,preventing frostbite. We had many days here last year in Illinois that was below zero,a few times with wind chills 25 below,,nothing happened to any of ours.I think my main concern here is always the wind and we are in a true prairie area here,no real windbreaks for miles,and nothing to slow the howling wind down. Yours should be fine if they're out of the wind,despite the cold temps coming,which we won't realize until Thursday here

My barn for the peas this past winter wasn't insulated and they did fine when it got -20 and even below that. I talked to Craig Hopkins of Hopkins livestock (who I got my peas from ) and he says the India blue do fine in the cold but to build a heated roost...So I did. But beings yours are used to your barn I don't know if they'd roost someplace new even if you gave them one. Do you have IB or green peas? He did say the greens need someplace warm to be.
If your peas don't mind being handled, I guess you could move them if it would make you feel better.
My peas can often be found hanging out in our garage so I don't think it'd bother them too much to move. They're free range and we never close garage doors in the summer (they're not automatic). However, they're still hanging ou in the barn and they seem ok.

How do you built a heated perch though??

Go to Hopkins alternative livestock web page.... He has easy instructions. I used a 2x4 and on the wide side attached a thermostatically controlled pipe warmer tape. It's to keep pipes from freezing and turns on when it's under 32 degrees. Attached it using fencing staples. Then I used scrap carpet and covered it. I did it all myself and it was pretty easy :)

We're moving all our peas inside for the winter tomorrow night after dark.I know some peoples aviaries has small buildings peas can go into when the weather is bad,but their peas still stayed outside and roosted on their perches depsite the sub zero temps with blowing winds. My Pea building isn't heated but the perches are all 2"x6"'s laid flat so the bird can keep it's entire foot covered when they are sitting down on the perch,preventing frostbite. We had many days here last year in Illinois that was below zero,a few times with wind chills 25 below,,nothing happened to any of ours.I think my main concern here is always the wind and we are in a true prairie area here,no real windbreaks for miles,and nothing to slow the howling wind down. Yours should be fine if they're out of the wind,despite the cold temps coming,which we won't realize until Thursday here

I was talking with Josh at Rocking BAB Ranch on the phone about green peafowl and peafowl in general. I told Josh that I have a nice covered area with tall roosts for the peafowl and they would rather sleep on their outside roosts. Josh told me the reason they do that is because of lighting. He said they go to where there is the most light to sleep. He said if you provide them with a dim light in the indoor or covered area at night, they will roost there instead. He also said another way to get them to roost inside is to have roosts only inside and none outside.

Oh my goodness! That would be a cute Christmas card. The fires been going here too....-20 this morning! And my poor kids have to go to school too....I don't want to leave the house!

Has anyone here read how you can stack terracotta pots,holding them together upside down with a long bolt,and then placing a small candle under the pots,to generate heat all day long? The pots will store the candle heat,and the bolt holding them together transmits the heat between the 3 pots. It's very,very cheap radiant heat all generated by one or a few small candles.There is videos on you-tube how to build these.Each pot must be slightly bigger than the next,and the bolt needs to be long enough to be just above the candle frame.Granted around peas,you may need to construct a wire enclosure around the pots,but it's amazing how hot one small candle can create for many hours at a time.

Back
Top Bottom