It's going to be super cold.

It's 37 degrees and pouring down rain, Burr hard freeze will be here tonight.

I am a bit worried, Entergy is suppose to set our pole for power to the new place and they are setting it right at the edge of my ground brooder
barnie.gif
right in the area where the power line goes to the old barn, i hope they do not hit it cause i will loose power to the brooder and i have a batch of chicken chicks and still have some wee peas that go inside the brooder at night to be under the heat lamp
ep.gif

Yuk, that's wet cold that goes clean to the bone. I'm sorry! I prefer the 8 degrees we have this morning...
hugs.gif

I was working on the coop last night worrying about low temps and I found this site.I dont even think We will see a freeze but My Home is located in a High Wind Area.If I didn't clip My Minion's Wing's they Could Hover...

I was working on the coop last night worrying about low temps and I found this site.I dont even think We will see a freeze but My Home is located in a High Wind Area.If I didn't clip My Minion's Wing's they Could Hover...
I live about 120 miles east of Houston they should be fine,Mine roost it the very tops of the talla trees here and they have been iced over so bad up their they had to wait to thaw before they could come down.
are yours free ranged?

Last edited:

Generally better to NOT clip wings on peas..

Glad you have joined us
frow.gif

Well, we got our hard freeze last night, down to 22 degrees here. It's pretty funny, all the mulberry trees still had all their leaves, still bright green, as of yesterday. This morning, the still bright green leaves are falling like snowflakes, and there are carpets of bright green mulberry leaves on the ground and the rooftops all around. You can watch the leaves steadily drift down from the trees and add to the drifts... it's really cute.

I was really worried about the birds last night, but everyone wisely decided to go inside eventually (well, I'm not sure Big Blue ever went in). When I looked out at first light, the peas poked their beaks out, decided it was too cold, and went back inside
lau.gif

Poor Big Blue is still really upset. I moved his chickens into a separate pen last weekend. Had no idea he was that attached to the chickens. He's done nothing but pace the fence and sleep next to the part nearest the chickens ever since. He is VERY sad.
hit.gif
I'm not sure how long this is going to go on (it's almost a week now), but I might have to rethink what I'm doing with the pens, because he does not seem to be getting over it.

Well, we got our hard freeze last night, down to 22 degrees here. It's pretty funny, all the mulberry trees still had all their leaves, still bright green, as of yesterday. This morning, the still bright green leaves are falling like snowflakes, and there are carpets of bright green mulberry leaves on the ground and the rooftops all around. You can watch the leaves steadily drift down from the trees and add to the drifts... it's really cute.

I was really worried about the birds last night, but everyone wisely decided to go inside eventually (well, I'm not sure Big Blue ever went in). When I looked out at first light, the peas poked their beaks out, decided it was too cold, and went back inside
lau.gif

Poor Big Blue is still really upset. I moved his chickens into a separate pen last weekend. Had no idea he was that attached to the chickens. He's done nothing but pace the fence and sleep next to the part nearest the chickens ever since. He is VERY sad.
hit.gif
I'm not sure how long this is going to go on (it's almost a week now), but I might have to rethink what I'm doing with the pens, because he does not seem to be getting over it.

It can take weeks for them to adjust to a move, but mine always do eventually.
Where are you located? You probably already told me, but I am a Fogey!
old.gif
We are currently having snow flurries in PA.
hit.gif
I want to go back to July now.

Back
Top Bottom