It's Hard Watching New Chicks "Get Jumped" into the Mean Girl Gang

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
I have 2 new pullets that I'm trying to introduce and integrate into the flock. Today is their first day out in the yard (large fenced in back yard) with my other 6 hens. They've been in two separate dog kennels for the last 4 days. The other girls have been looking and kinda not touching... So far today, I've witnesses bullying, feather pulling, guarding of food... everything negative and it is hard to watch. They new girls are trying to stay clear, but that means little food and water for them. I'm doing everything I can to not intervene... let them establish the pecking order. But it's really hard. I don't know what tonight will look like when it's time to roost... I guess we'll see. So, I don't have any questions. I just wanna say this is really hard to watch and I hope it ends soon.

There are two ways to integrate new chickens. There is the toss-em-into-the-fray style or the segregation style for a period of look-but-not-touch until everyone become accustomed to one another.

Try to understand how your original chickens feel about a couple of strangers suddenly appearing in their run. The number one rule of chickens is in force - resist change of any kind. You need to sneak change in on chickens over a period of time, not throw it in their faces.

Then there are the newcomers who are trying to adjust not only to the original chickens, but to a whole new home. They need even more time under secure conditions to adjust. Therefore, I suggest you rig a temporary safe pen so the new chickens can observe the original chickens in safety. They need to learn their temperaments and settle into a new environment.

Getting adequate food and water is also a prime consideration. Over the two or three weeks it requires for full integration, not getting adequate food and water can result in degradation of general health.

Here is an article I wrote about integrating a new hen into my flock. It will give you an actual case study of how a chicken integrates into a flock and how long it can take. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

There are two ways to integrate new chickens. There is the toss-em-into-the-fray style or the segregation style for a period of look-but-not-touch until everyone become accustomed to one another.

Try to understand how your original chickens feel about a couple of strangers suddenly appearing in their run. The number one rule of chickens is in force - resist change of any kind. You need to sneak change in on chickens over a period of time, not throw it in their faces.

Then there are the newcomers who are trying to adjust not only to the original chickens, but to a whole new home. They need even more time under secure conditions to adjust. Therefore, I suggest you rig a temporary safe pen so the new chickens can observe the original chickens in safety. They need to learn their temperaments and settle into a new environment.

Getting adequate food and water is also a prime consideration. Over the two or three weeks it requires for full integration, not getting adequate food and water can result in degradation of general health.

Here is an article I wrote about integrating a new hen into my flock. It will give you an actual case study of how a chicken integrates into a flock and how long it can take. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/
This is very helpful. Thank you.

I almost always integrate at night as well as try to even the numbers. If you only have 6 and add 1 everybody will pick on them. Be a hard sell to establish yourself. 6 and add 3 they can't single anyone out as easily. Safety in numbers but eventually somebody is gonna be the butt of the jokes.
Thank you for that insight.

I usually do two girls at a time, which is what I did here. But now I understand that ratio is important.
I have alot of birds and 5 different areas/coops I use.
Integration is always an issue.
Most all of my roos go to the freezer camp grow out. I usually keep 5 roos and they all pretty much stay separated. They don't get along like hens do. Lol
But when I bring a new batch in I always try to make the newbie numbers high so the old gals are just overwhelmed.

Also a good tactic is to put barriers in the run. Not much more than a board proped up. A hiding place to break the line of site works wonders. In a pinch a cardboard box with holes cut in it just so they have someplace to go. Ive also incorporated chicken glasses to break line of sight issues.

Back
Top Bottom