It's hot and my girls are lying on their sides.

MammaMoose

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lawrenceburg, KY
I just went out to check on my girls. I found them in the shade, lying on their sides at funny angles. Is this normal? They were slow to get up and one kept her leg tucked up...like it had fallen asleep. I hurried inside and got a frozen milk jug out to them. I covered in in straw, which they promptly scratched away. I'm a new chicken momma (been doing this for 3 mos.) and am still getting used to my girls and their funny ways. Help me understand chicken. Thnx.

They're relaxing. It's normal, see.......here's mine:

SDC10436.jpg

Thnx. I thought I had a rare breed of "fainting" chickens. They didn't have a wing out, but were all the way on their sides. They scared me for a moment. Silly girls. Of course, in this heat and humidity, I'd be fainting and on my side, too.

Mine do it when the sun is OUT! They lie on their sides, in the direct path of the sun's rays, spread out their wings and shut their eyes in contentment. It's a sun bath and it's delicious when it happens (for those of us who live in a continuous cool, cloudy, rainy climate).
hmm.png

Quote:
Hear hear!
big_smile.png
Almost the very first thing my chickens do the first time they see sunlight is spread out on the ground and sing. Bliss!

Last edited:
My chickens do this, too, when they are in the sun or dusting.

I read in Meyers catalog that laying hens should not eat fruit. I say this in response to some who feed cold fruit on hot days. Is it true that fruit will stop hens from laying?

Back
Top Bottom