Sponsored Post It's HOT - Keep your birds feeling their best!

My chicks are loving the mud puddles we are making for them! As their buckets of ice melt, we just dump the water in the run. My husband put up a beach umbrella, too. Frozen jugs are in the coop with the lazy meatbirds. We have a large flower pot bottom that we fill with water and some of the chicks are standing in the water. They are so cute using their little "pool"! It's another scorcher in Maryland today.

Chickens like mud????
ep.gif
I've gotta make some mud puddles!!! Just 2 more days and the heat wave here in Indiana is suppose to break. We'll be going from 100's to upper 80's and low 90's...talk about a cold front! lol I'm sure the birds are gonna love the cooler temps but until then I'm holding my breath!

YES!!!! Piecesofamber, my husband asked if that was MY post, LOL. We have a Blue moon bar umbrella shading the west side of the coop and flower pot bottom pools as well. I swear my girls are part pig because they plop down in the mud. Then they clean off in the "pool". I swear I'm about to put up a webcam and start my own 'Iowa Chickens' live feed... Hubby laughed and said I would be the only one watching
tongue2.gif

YES!!!! Piecesofamber, my husband asked if that was MY post, LOL. We have a Blue moon bar umbrella shading the west side of the coop and flower pot bottom pools as well. I swear my girls are part pig because they plop down in the mud. Then they clean off in the "pool". I swear I'm about to put up a webcam and start my own 'Iowa Chickens' live feed... Hubby laughed and said I would be the only one watching
tongue2.gif
big_smile.png
Awesome!

Chickens like mud????
ep.gif
I've gotta make some mud puddles!!! Just 2 more days and the heat wave here in Indiana is suppose to break. We'll be going from 100's to upper 80's and low 90's...talk about a cold front! lol I'm sure the birds are gonna love the cooler temps but until then I'm holding my breath!
Same here, two more days and we'll get some "cooler" temps. I can't wait!

I freeze milk jugs full of water and put them in an insulated coop I have for my silkies. Since the coop is insulated, it holds in the cool air created by the frozen jug of water really well and keeps my silkies cool at night. The silkies like to lay right up against the jug. I'm really glad we thought of this as it has made a huge difference. It only takes one jug of water in the 3 feet, by 2ft 8in coop each night.

Hi Erin, great idea! We found that frozen water jugs are great to put into their coop watering bucket, too. We had been putting ice in it and started to run low on ice for our own use, so now we rotate two 2-liter bottles of water so one's in the freezer while the other's in use.

Incidentally, the watering bucket is a four-gallon square bucket with lid that is suspended by two wires, with three "Lubing" brand broiler nipples screwed into the bottom. Our chicks took to it immediately. The design frees up floor space and completely prevents contamination by dirt, manure, straw, etc.

Cooling mister set up for the chicken run
install overhead for cool mist
instead of ground in the run.
use an outdoor thermometer before you turn on mister and compare with mister on to see how
much the air in the run has cooled.
Garden Treasures Big and Bold Thermometer
$6.96
Item #: 181240
Model #: 90050-LG
•Made of durable, weather-resistant plastic, with vibrant UV fade-resistant printing
•Bold, easy to read numbers
•Precision made tube thermometer for accurate readings

from a single outdoor faucet, 1/2" poly tubing must be installed first as the main line
Mister Landscaper 1/2" x 100' Poly Tubing $13.44 at Lowe's.
Mister Landscaper 1-Program Digital Hose End Timer $34.30
This timer will help to make your chickens cooler by automatically turning the water on and off

Mister Landscaper Drip Irrigation Hole Punch
$5.49
Drip Irrigation Hole Punch
Item #: 320751
Model #: MLA-TOOL
• Ergonomically designed to make snapping a hole into the 1/2" poly tubing even easier
• Has side guides to slide over the 1/2" tubing to help hold into place and also act as a safety
shield to the sharp hole punch tip
• Has 1/4" side slot to securely hold the barb ends of 1/4" fittings while pushing 1/4" vinyl onto
it's other barbed end
Mister Landscaper 4-Pack Adjustable-Spray Drip Irrigation Micro Sprayer
$3.23
Add to Cart Mister Landscaper 4-Pack Adjustable-Spray Drip Irrigation Micro Sprayer
Item #: 44198
Model #: MLM-236
• These patented 3-in-1 micro-sprays gives you 3 choices of spray patterns including a 360°
down stream spray for roses, a 90° quarter circle spray,...
Installing overhead down the middle or around the sides of the chicken run will cool the air in
the chicken run the 1/4 in tubing only allows 4 to 5 mist heads so be sure and go with the 1/2
inch poly tubing. zip ties are and easy way to tie tubing to the overhead chicken wire in the run.

thanks for the info! its 108 degrees in IL right now! our horses are sweating a bunch so we stall them and put a fan on them but are chickens do have a shaded coop area but are panting like crazy! so we make sure we always give them fresh cold water! but tomorrow im getting 3 ducklings and are scared for them even know they have a area inside our barn with a fan also! but its just miserable outside!
th.gif

Last edited:
lets just hope my mama, age 88 now does not come for a visit..when we lived in the mohave desert, the 100 % temps would go up to 120% we could never figure out how she timed her visits.as she came when ever she got laid off from work...lol. but out there at it was low humidity.
ps here is the old folks from my villiage at fourth of july fireworks.keep in mind it was only 96 out
Springs Senior Living folks enjoying an evening outwatch the fireworks display... notice the swetters ladies cold when under 100 out

Back
Top Bottom