Sponsored Post It's HOT - Keep your birds feeling their best!

I know they pant to cool off. I guess what my problem is this, we feel heat index because we sweat. When the heat index is high there's a lot of moisture in the air making it harder for our sweat to evaporate, making it harder for us to cool down. If chickens don't sweat, they shouldn't be affected by heat index.

I know they pant to cool off. I guess what my problem is this, we feel heat index because we sweat. When the heat index is high there's a lot of moisture in the air making it harder for our sweat to evaporate, making it harder for us to cool down. If chickens don't sweat, they shouldn't be affected by heat index.
I was told they need moving air because they don't sweat, that is why a fan is critical. I probably get a 20 degree cool down from my fan, misters and a tarp to hold the cooler air in. Its is not a large area which is cooler but it works. My guys are panting but comfortable at 112 degrees.

http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/07/hot-weather-acidosis-and-homemade.html has a homemade elctrolyte recipe for your birdies! Here it s:

1 Cup Water
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda

Use full strength on severely ailing chickens, otherwise mix into their drinking water as needed, a cup per gallon of water.​
Gail Damerow in The Chicken Health Handbook, gives her recipe for homemade elctrolyte solution: 1/2 t. potassium chloride (salt substitute)
1/2 t. sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 t. sodium chloride (table salt)
1 qt. water

She states use this solution as is, no instructions for diluting it when putting it in waterers.
Haven't tried it. I have the packaged stuff but they don't seem to like the taste. I add a tablespoon of vinegar in their water and they love that!

Chickens like mud????
ep.gif
I've gotta make some mud puddles!!! Just 2 more days and the heat wave here in Indiana is suppose to break. We'll be going from 100's to upper 80's and low 90's...talk about a cold front! lol I'm sure the birds are gonna love the cooler temps but until then I'm holding my breath!
Yes! I keep a garden hose running along the edge of our side woods where my chickens hang out. It creates mud and a nice stream of cold water. They lay, walk and drink in the constant water flow. On super hot days the hens will take a mud bath. I hate leaving the water running all day due to having a well, but it's a lifesaver. They much prefer the hose without a sprinkler. My hens hate sprinklers.

Gail Damerow in The Chicken Health Handbook, gives her recipe for homemade elctrolyte solution: 1/2 t. potassium chloride (salt substitute)
1/2 t. sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)
1 t. sodium chloride (table salt)
1 qt. water

She states use this solution as is, no instructions for diluting it when putting it in waterers.
Haven't tried it. I have the packaged stuff but they don't seem to like the taste. I add a tablespoon of vinegar in their water and they love that!
I would never in a billion years give my chickens salt of any kind. Too much salt will kill a chicken.

Is the recipie too much? It seems as if some have used salt. Is there a difference in using sea salt "no iodine in that". Electrolytes do have salt. I imagine the variety and amount is essential info. I did once add salt to water small 1/4 tsp 2 gal sea salt didn't kill the hens but saw on site not to give so dumped it.

I would wonder at what point would this be given? Is is being used as a preventative? A cure? I used Braggs apple cider vinegar but in my thoughts for the purpose of intestinal health. When my hens pant they are doing their thing. I place screens the spritz The point I think is when to act ? When would you use an electrolyte??

I would wonder at what point would this be given? Is is being used as a preventative? A cure? I used Braggs apple cider vinegar but in my thoughts for the purpose of intestinal health. When my hens pant they are doing their thing. I place screens the spritz The point I think is when to act ? When would you use an electrolyte??
Gail Damerow in her Chicken Health Handbook says to use it when they're under stress or ill. I use 1 T. vinegar per gallon of water and the chickens love that and drink it up. I just use it to try to make them drink more since it is so hot. Vinegar is supposed to help with digestion too but my concern is that they they get enough fluids. Gail says to give the electrolyte solution for a week and then stop so the electrolytes isn't something you give forever apparently.

Back
Top Bottom