It's HOT - Keep your birds feeling their best!

Also got them to start eating blue berries and raspberries but they snubbed the fresh cold watermelon. I tried scooping little pieces and leaving it quartered on the rind . They just took a few pecks tried to eat a seed or two then left. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

I have misters up for my guys. They didn't like it at first but I left it up and now they love them. They will sit in the mist when it gets hot. I have a 2 fans running through the mist so it it blows cool air on them. They were amazingly comfortable when it hit 115 degrees here in AZ. I don't put ice in their water but I do have a chunk of frozen Ice that I put out in the afternoons if it hits over 110. I place it in front of the fan. I have found that ice frozen in a simple large Tupperware container (pops out easy) stays cooler longer than putting out water frozen in a larger plastic bottle. I am thinking the warm plastic heats the ice quicker. Plus as it melts they can lick the cool water drips. I thought about freezing fruit or small grass clippings in the ice. I might try that next.
Kris

Also got them to start eating blue berries and raspberries but they snubbed the fresh cold watermelon. I tried scooping little pieces and leaving it quartered on the rind . They just took a few pecks tried to eat a seed or two then left. What am I doing wrong? Any tips?
You're not doing anything wrong; your birds just don't like watermelon. Mine like it very much, but they don't like celery tops or cabbage. Have you tried grapes? My birds will chase and wrestle each other for grapes. We have Barred Rocks.

After reading different ideas on here I decided to clean out my freezer...peas, beans, scuppernongs, huckleberries...then I threw them in the shade and of course they all come running to see what I have given them and all the noise from my rooster, Herman, ....then they just walked around on them for a few minutes then started eating them as they thawed...then thank God we started having rain every day...all of July has been rain and now Aug is following suit. I have moved my Turkey, Freda, into her turkey tractor, Fredas Rig, and I have moved her every four days from one shade tree to another...now to start on the next tractor

After reading different ideas on here I decided to clean out my freezer...peas, beans, scuppernongs, huckleberries...then I threw them in the shade and of course they all come running to see what I have given them and all the noise from my rooster, Herman, ....then they just walked around on them for a few minutes then started eating them as they thawed...then thank God we started having rain every day...all of July has been rain and now Aug is following suit. I have moved my Turkey, Freda, into her turkey tractor, Fredas Rig, and I have moved her every four days from one shade tree to another...now to start on the next tractor
What are 'scuppernongs'?!

My chickens love watermelon! We just toss the rinds to them after we finish eating. A good treat for everyone on a hot day...

Oh god, my chickens love watermelon as well. They go crazy for that and any other veggie/fruit scrapes we give them. I'm sure they get a lot of their water that way.

Recently we got a mister for the rabbits and some of the mist gets blown over to the chickens. I think it makes the air a little cooler for them since we have such dry heat out here. They're surprisingly good at keeping themselves cool though. They dig holes in the shade and find cool spots in the dirt to lay in.

Back
Top Bottom