It's HOT!

Tasha1981

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Gonzales Louisiana
Currently it is 93 with a heat index of 107. My 11 week olds have been making a lot of noise because they didn't get theit lunch time grazing period. So I figured, why not? They are regretting their decision.

Only 3 of 17 came out and they stayed very close to the coop.

Your chickens are smart. They are staying in the shade. Provide them plenty of water and they will be fine. Some peeps put ice water into the chicken runs. I read their posts. I'm not sure it is that necessary. Some use misters and that does cool the ambient.

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

As long as they have food and water in the shade they'll be fine. All mine dissapear into the woods about 11am and don't come out till about 4pm. We have been in the mid to high 90's for a few weeks now and the chickens hide out in the shade most of the day.

I keep great shade and fresh water. They were begging to come out. So I let them. Then when they realized how hot it was in the sun they changed their minds. I thought it was cute.

The top of the coop and run have insulated panels on top. My roommate drives a truck for Structall. It's insulated housing panels that were damaged. Got them really cheap because they were unsellable. Perfectly keeps the coop 20 degrees cooler than outside and in the winter it helps keep the warmth in.

Back
Top Bottom