Ugh! Integrating?!

Atchurch

Songster
Mar 13, 2023
I've been reading through the other threads but not really seeing any definitive things. Some say put them together at night, some say let them all get close to the same size, etc. But for 3 days, we've had parallel runs and I tried to let the two, older, newest, female additions into the big run with our 11 week old flock of 6 hens and one rooster. The older two immediately started chasing the younger ones down and attacking them. The rooster was the younguns' champion, but even he seemed intimidated. I was in there so I started toward them all so the older two ran back to the little run and I called my littler ones to me and that separated everybody. I closed the pop door between runs and started checking everybody for blood or injuries. Nothing, thank goodness, but then the older girls made a lot more noise and the young ones hid in their coop for a while until they were positive the coast was clear.

Here's my main problem, though...those big girls can't stay in the small coop and run very much longer. Is there a foolproof way to get them together a little quicker? We don't have a lot of things inside the run yet. We are building a roost system to look kind of like a lake hut, but haven't yet. Any help is appreciated as always!

Some say put them together at night
This is bad advice.
some say let them all get close to the same size
I've never seen a problem integrating smaller birds with full size birds.
11 week old flock of 6 hens and one rooster
You have 2 hens you are trying to integrate with 6 PULLETS and 1 COCKEREL. That is a big difference from hens and a rooster.
into the big run
Define big. Need pictures of your coop and run.
Is there a foolproof way to get them together a little quicker?
No. They are living creatures who happen to hate change and interlopers.
We don't have a lot of things inside the run yet.
This is a major issue. You need lots of clutter, things to fly up on to perch, things to hide behind, thick organic matter to scratch through, multiple places to eat and drink and lots of SPACE.
3 days, we've had parallel runs
This isn't long enough for them to acclimate to each other.

That's a whole lotta "nos", lol. Big run is 20' X 10' and the little one is about 25 sq ft.

Attachments

• 16849759726645841482679809248285.jpg
    16849759726645841482679809248285.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 50
I agree with everything said so far. It feels like you may be asking a lot to happen on a very short timeline, when time may ultimately be the great equalizer.

I can't say I've tried to do exactly what you are doing. I have an established flock of nine hens and three ducks, to which I've been integrating a sub flock of six chicks, (or really 2+4). They are about five weeks now, and I have been introducing them slowly; several look but don't touch visits, brief and closely supervised at first, then getting longer and less supervised. They have spent just a couple full days together in the run now, and so far so good! Our run is not huge, but there is a good amount of clutter (I've been adding more for the chicks to play in and hide behind) and lots of vertical space to perch up, the stronger they get. It's been interesting to see the dynamics going on, and there is some chasing and hiding and the occasional curfuffle, but mostly I stay out of it and watch from a distance and let them sort it out. Time will tell as hormones start kicking in and whatnot, but so far it's really been fine. I plan to just keep an eye on things and make any adjustments as needed. I see a lot of the hens flocking together and the ducks flocking together and the chicks flocking together, but I think that's natural.

I've not put them in the coop together overnight yet, but I agree that whenever someone advises me to sneak the chicks in at night, that just colors my whole opinion of any of their chicken advice thereafter. No matter.

I guess now seeing your setup too, I'm wondering, why do you feel as though the two hens can't stay in their little private coop and run for whatever period of time? TBH, I'm thinking about getting a temporary bump out type of run for my kiddoes, even though everyone gets along, just to give them more space and mom a little more peace of mind if I'm not home to step in, should something go sideways. 🤷 It looks like you have the foundation of an amazing setup there! I would just keep at the look but don't touch maybe while you fill in the run. :). And give them time.

And there are 3 different height swings in there, but they're hard to see, and a big stump. I want the "hut" in the center and big enough for everybody to perch on. It could take another 2 weeks to get that built in there.

If you want to add stuff right now, here are a few possibilities:

Cardboard boxes (until they get squashed or wet), more pallets, tree stumps or sections of log, bales of hay or straw, sawhorses, cinder blocks, large stones or piles of bricks (be sure they won't fall over), old tables or chairs (only if you never need them clean again).

Basically, as long as it won't hurt the chickens, and you don't mind having chicken poop on it, anything can work. Give serious thought to anything you would otherwise throw in the trash-- it might do some good in the chicken run first, and you can throw it away after you have the nicer things you want to build.

How old are the new ones?

Why not?
The new girls are about 18 mos and I think it's too small in there. They just seem cramped. And at night, the tallest perch is fine to fit them both onto, but in the mornings, they seem to be apprehensive about jumping down. It's only 18" high. The little coop is 37.5" wide X 40" long X 37 high (at the peak). Nesting boxes make it even wider so that's just measurements of the roosting area.

The new girls are about 18 mos and I think it's too small in there. They just seem cramped. And at night, the tallest perch is fine to fit them both onto, but in the mornings, they seem to be apprehensive about jumping down. It's only 18" high. The little coop is 37.5" wide X 40" long X 37 high (at the peak). Nesting boxes make it even wider so that's just measurements of the roosting area.
That is definitely on the small side, but for just two hens I think it is big enough while you do the integration slowly, without needing to rush.

I might worry if you have weather that forces them to stay in the coop during the daytime, but this is not winter, and I see that part of their run is under their coop (shaded from the sun, and covered to keep rain off.) So they will probably be able to go out each day, which means they aren't too squished.

For being apprehensive about jumping down from the perch: you can just let them deal with it, or you can lower the perch.

Back
Top Bottom