Two not with the program

Jul 8, 2023
I have 24 hens and one rooster. They have a large run and spacious coop. 17 of the hens are 2-3 months older than the newest six. The older ones have always been in the run. The six were 4 months old when I got them and were free range. All are laying now but 2 of them prefer to lay anywhere but a nesting box. I have six boxes that all have bedding in them. How do I convince these two to get with the program and use the boxes?
I have found their eggs on the floor of the coop, in the run, and even in the dust bath I provide for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it possible any of the older hens are giving them a hard time in the nest boxes?
I have 4 different ages - my original flock, over a year, & 2 sets of pullets a month apart. The flock is amuck trying to sort out pecking order right now, and the youngsters just aren't at the point where they'll stand up to the older hens.
I would perrhaps put a makeshift nest box in the pen and see if they'll use it.

I have 2 young hens left and they started laying on the floor of their makeshift coop.
I have since made a nesting box, and one of them started to use it immediately but the other continues to lay her egg on the floor, in the corner of the coop.
Since there are only two of them in that coop, I doubt that it's a pecking order problem.
Also, they are both pretty easy going and seem to get along fine. I have witnessed them together many times and not once did I see any friction.
I too would like to know how to get my floor laying hen to use the box.

I might create a new nest box in the corner of the coop. When you find an egg not in a nest box, put it in the new nest.

I would also try and figure out at what times the new gals are laying and lock them in a nest until they lay.

Back
Top Bottom