(More) questions about integrating new pullets

I do free range and I integrated 3 pullets to my 11 hens back in October and even with the free range I have a couple that bully the new girls. I did like you and started a little time each day and when they had there safe spaces down I let them stay with them all the time. I had a mini coop for them and one night they went into the big coop all by themselves. It's been 3 months since I started and still have problems with the bullying. I have one hen that has been so bad that I have her in isolation for now to bring her down a peg or two. And I have an 8 week old roo that I am waiting to get big enough to add. If you can have a roo GET ONE! He will keep them in line. Good luck.
Thanks! Unfortunately I can't have a rooster here. I knew this would be a process but I had no idea it would be so difficult.

As long as there's ample hiding spots, I leave them be once the littles prove to me that they know where their safe zone is. Which it sounds like they do.

I also find that for chicks in particular, having vertical space (clutter that allows for vertical escape) helps, as younger birds are more agile than older ones. Note that I have food and the chick's water on top of this jungle gym - older birds are less inclined to go up there but the chicks (in back left corner) can dart up, get a drink, and see any adults coming much more easily than on the ground.

View attachment 3719042
I bit the bullet today and left them all alone. I spent an hour with them and observed without interfering (other than making sure the littles knew where the other water sources were.)The big girls definitely aren’t happy about their presence but they back down quickly enough after each attack. Only a few feathers plucked in the scuffles. I can tell they’re more just asserting dominance and not actually trying to kill them or anything. I added more clutter like you suggested but they still preferred to stay close to the safe zone. Once I left the run I don’t think the ventured out on their own, or if they did it was a quick out and back, but I left the door ajar. I’m pretty sure my leghorn could fit through the opening but she’s the only one who really doesn’t care about the newbies. The others haven’t really attempted to get in there.

Anyway, long explanation of my day 😂 just wanted to thank you for giving me the courage to leave them all alone. We’re building a new coop (hopefully) this weekend and putting the current smaller prefab inside the run for the littles to sleep outside at night for now. I’m so tired of bringing them back into the garage every day.

Back
Top Bottom