(More) questions about integrating new pullets

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My 4 new pullerts are 8 1/2 weeks old. I’ve had them outside in the run in a see/don’t touch pen all day every day for 2 weeks. I’ve been trying little by little to let them out in gen pop with my 5 older girls (7 months) but it’s just never very pretty. I sit out there for an hour at a time to supervise. I prop the door to their pen slightly so they have a safe space to get back to and I set up another safe space at the farthest end of the run (though they haven’t found that yet.). They come out for a bit but it doesn’t last long. My big girls bully the heck out of them, chasing them, pecking and cornering. No blood but feathers do fly occasionally. I rarely intervene because I am trying to let them figure it out. After some time they all find their way back into their small safe space and don’t come out again. Im scared to leave them unsupervised because sometimes they have trouble remembering where the door is. And really I can’t spend the entire day sitting in the chicken run supervising, so I feel like I’m barely making progress. They have a ton of run space here and it’s in an L shape so almost like two separate areas. Im
Just at a loss in how to get them all together. It seems dangerous to just throw them to the wolves at this age. Are they just young? How have others (who don’t free range) handled integrating chicks.

My 4 new pullerts are 8 1/2 weeks old. I’ve had them outside in the run in a see/don’t touch pen all day every day for 2 weeks. I’ve been trying little by little to let them out in gen pop with my 5 older girls (7 months) but it’s just never very pretty. I sit out there for an hour at a time to supervise. I prop the door to their pen slightly so they have a safe space to get back to and I set up another safe space at the farthest end of the run (though they haven’t found that yet.). They come out for a bit but it doesn’t last long. My big girls bully the heck out of them, chasing them, pecking and cornering. No blood but feathers do fly occasionally. I rarely intervene because I am trying to let them figure it out. After some time they all find their way back into their small safe space and don’t come out again. Im scared to leave them unsupervised because sometimes they have trouble remembering where the door is. And really I can’t spend the entire day sitting in the chicken run supervising, so I feel like I’m barely making progress. They have a ton of run space here and it’s in an L shape so almost like two separate areas. Im
Just at a loss in how to get them all together. It seems dangerous to just throw them to the wolves at this age. Are they just young? How have others (who don’t free range) handled integrating chicks.
Obstacles that the new pullets can run around to break contact with an older hen help, and something where they can put vertical space between them and the older hens. Something as simple as four concrete blocks on end with an old board on top that they can jump up on or run under gives them a chance to get away from contact. Also, more than one feeding/watering station keeps the older hens from guarding the food and water source.

And time... it takes time to reset the pecking order.

Obstacles that the new pullets can run around to break contact with an older hen help, and something where they can put vertical space between them and the older hens. Something as simple as four concrete blocks on end with an old board on top that they can jump up on or run under gives them a chance to get away from contact. Also, more than one feeding/watering station keeps the older hens from guarding the food and water source.

And time... it takes time to reset the pecking order.
Im gonna add some more hiding spots for sure. But when do I just pull the plug and let them figure it out without supervision?

Im gonna add some more hiding spots for sure. But when do I just pull the plug and let them figure it out without supervision?
As long as there's ample hiding spots, I leave them be once the littles prove to me that they know where their safe zone is. Which it sounds like they do.

I also find that for chicks in particular, having vertical space (clutter that allows for vertical escape) helps, as younger birds are more agile than older ones. Note that I have food and the chick's water on top of this jungle gym - older birds are less inclined to go up there but the chicks (in back left corner) can dart up, get a drink, and see any adults coming much more easily than on the ground.

brood6.jpg

As long as there's ample hiding spots, I leave them be once the littles prove to me that they know where their safe zone is. Which it sounds like they do.

I also find that for chicks in particular, having vertical space (clutter that allows for vertical escape) helps, as younger birds are more agile than older ones. Note that I have food and the chick's water on top of this jungle gym - older birds are less inclined to go up there but the chicks (in back left corner) can dart up, get a drink, and see any adults coming much more easily than on the ground.

View attachment 3719042
This is so cute! I wish I had something like this in the run. We built a roosting tree but it’s definitely more for the big girls right now.

More or less. They won't really accept the young ones as part of the flock until they reach point of lay though.
I guess the one positive is I’m less enthusiastic about getting more chickens in the spring 😂

I think I need a break. I’ll never do winter chicks again and I don’t have the energy for chicks again in just a few months.

I do free range and I integrated 3 pullets to my 11 hens back in October and even with the free range I have a couple that bully the new girls. I did like you and started a little time each day and when they had there safe spaces down I let them stay with them all the time. I had a mini coop for them and one night they went into the big coop all by themselves. It's been 3 months since I started and still have problems with the bullying. I have one hen that has been so bad that I have her in isolation for now to bring her down a peg or two. And I have an 8 week old roo that I am waiting to get big enough to add. If you can have a roo GET ONE! He will keep them in line. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom