Hens and heat issues

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
Hi all,

I have a Red Sex-link hen who has not been herself the last two mornings. She has laid every day except one since she got to the POL age. She hasn't laid one the past two days. She's a little over a year old. No apparent illness or injuries showing. I didn't notice any mites or lice when I examined her. Vent looks normal with no mucus or poo. Eyes, nares, wattles, comb appear normal and have good red color. She's a little puffed up feather wise, tail is either down or straight out when she does walk around. She was sitting on the coop floor by some ice jugs earlier and panting. She seems to be trying to keep her distance from her sisters which is unusual. They are like the 3 Musketeers - ALWAYS side by side. She is drinking and eating. Normal poops. It's been BLISTERING hot here. Heat indexes over 100 for a few days and counting. Her sister seems to be acting normally. More active. I checked her tummy for swelling and it doesn't feel any different than her sister's. Her crop wasn't as empty as her sisters, but I don't know how long it was since she came out of the coop and started eating before I took ice to them. It's not hard, nor does she have an odor from her mouth. I don't feel an egg near her backside, but I don't know what it would feel like if she had one stuck really. When it cools down in the evenings she seems to perk up, puts her tail up and is more active around her sisters and seems to want food more. It is just the heat getting to her and she's taking it easy in the mornings?? Am I worrying to much? Will she be OK if she doesn't lay and egg soon after being so regular?? I don't want her to become egg bound. Been giving frozen watermelon to all of them and NO ONE turns that down.

I am impressed with the care you have for your hens. You have done very well with the "inspections" looking for some possible problems. I'm dealing with something similar. We're having awful heat ( 100 - 103 real temp) for many days in a roll. I notice some of my hens cannot take this heat very well. They have all the help I can give them (fans, shades, water with electrolytes, dampened sand to Bathe, clay trays to cool their feet) but honestly it is unbearable. Just keep an eye on your hen, if she acts normal early in the mornings and late in the evenings before going to roost, she is just having problems with thus heat. Have you given them electrolytes? I notice they do much better. Hang in there, this heat will eventually be over

Thanks @aldarita. She does perk up in the evenings and paces the fence when I walk by with her sisters waiting for me to scare in some crickets. I do offer electrolytes as well as plain water, changed out several times a day w ice added. I freeze milk jugs and gallon juice jugs and set them in the run also in such a way the wind blows across them and they do sit on the North side of those for the few minutes the ice lasts. lol I also run a mister in that same area of their run and they seem to enjoy lounging in the wet dirt. Thanks for the response. I hope your flock comes through this heat wave also. We are having the same level temps. Today and for the next 3-4 days the forecasted temps are 106. Scared to know what the heat index will be on top of that. 🥵

I agree, it sounds like it can be the heat. She may just be having a more difficult time that the others dealing with it. Electrolytes in the water can help your flock during stressful events, like extreme heat.

Back
Top Bottom