It's killing my flock one by one. HELP!

theBRINK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I've had a few sick birds this past month and they all have died. The symptoms start out with trouble walking and poor balance. Then the little guys can't sit down properly and continue to fall over. Their legs completely shut down and kind of lock up. At the last stages, they will have one eye closed and die shortly after that. The whole process takes 5-14 days. I've checked them for parasites and have found none.

It was suggested that they may have a worm problem so I've administered Ivomec to the whole flock (could not locate Valbazen) yet still have chickens getting sick. Anyone run into this same problem? My babies are about 5 months old.

Thanks for the help!

I've had a few sick birds this past month and they all have died. The symptoms start out with trouble walking and poor balance. Then the little guys can't sit down properly and continue to fall over. Their legs completely shut down and kind of lock up. At the last stages, they will have one eye closed and die shortly after that. The whole process takes 5-14 days. I've checked them for parasites and have found none.

It was suggested that they may have a worm problem so I've administered Ivomec to the whole flock (could not locate Valbazen) yet still have chickens getting sick. Anyone run into this same problem? My babies are about 5 months old.

Thanks for the help!

Ive heard of Mareks disease causing some of the same syptoms. Ive heard it attacks the nervous system and causes tumors to grow all on the inside I believe attacking their mobility as well. Did you get them from a breeder or hatchery and do you know if they were vaccinated for anything?

Thanks for the help!

Also have you noticed any runny eyes or nose and any labored breathing or a wet sneezing? If so it could be a respitory disease such as a bronchitis they can catch.

I had that last year and lost two hens. They wandered arouned aimlessly before they got sick not eating but still drinking, then they would just sit unbalanced and cross eyed and they lose al strenth in their legs and jaws and their swallow reflex also shuts down which makes it impossible to give any food and water. Before they got to the really late stages i gave my second hen some anti biotics from the pet shop called im not sure some thing like avicure tetracilian and it helped alot making the chook live about three weeks longer but eventually passed away just like the first one. im pretty posotive worms would not giv off symptoms like that.

What are they eating? Have you changed feeds lately to a new brand? I read that vitamin deficiencies are the primary cause of leg paralysis chickens, which ultimately leads to death. You're best bet may be to have one of your chickens necropsied so you can find out for sure. I'm sorry you are going through this!

They came from a hatchery and were the last of his new flock that he wasn't able to mail due to the winter weather. I don't know if they were vaccinated, but the hatchery is reputable.

Haven't noticed any runny eyes or nose or hard breathing. They seem to be eating fine, but only drink when I make them take water. I just changed their food from starter feed to layer crumbles, but this has been happening one by one even before the diet change.

Thanks for the input. I'm just baffled as to what this could be.

They came from a hatchery and were the last of his new flock that he wasn't able to mail due to the winter weather. I don't know if they were vaccinated, but the hatchery is reputable.

Haven't noticed any runny eyes or nose or hard breathing. They seem to be eating fine, but only drink when I make them take water. I just changed their food from starter feed to layer crumbles, but this has been happening one by one even before the diet change.

I got an antibiotic from my local feed store. I don't remember the name, I can look it up when I get home and let you know, its for cows, pigs, chickens, and turkeys. its in powder form so i mix it with their water. For chickens you put one tsp to a gallon. Maybe you should try something like that. I give it to all my bitties when theyre first born and then if i notice they look a little under the weather I'll give them a dose.

Sorry, I keep forgetting things to write in the same box. If you say they only drink when you make them, maybe theyre a little dehydrated. I also mix a pack of the sav a chik in with the antibiotics to give them some electrolytes and make sure they are hydrated well. The guy at the feed store told me its good to give it to them for a week when theyre first born and then again when the weather starts getting warm because it can be a stressful change for them. Sorry about your chickens, I hope you can find something that can help :(

Back
Top Bottom