It's not my fault she came o me. Help. S.O.S

gaited horse

Merry Christmas!
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Fernley, NV
Ok so long story made short I got a duck today I know every little about ducks but I have been wanting one for as long as I've been a member on this forum. I was'nt planning on getting a duck she kinda showed up.
I have a few Questions
1) What should I feed her?
2)What breed is he (see pics below)?
3)what is it (a male or a female)(see pic below)?
4) Can she live with my chickens?
5)Should I get her a duck friend if she can live with the chickens?
6)Does she need a pond even tho it's winter?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/sueandkids2007/IMG_1533.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/sueandkids2007/IMG_1532.jpg

Last edited:
She looks like a production runner
smile.png
How'd you end up with her? The only way to tell what gender she is because she is a runner is too listen to her quack. If it is loud and honking then girl, quieter and raspy then boy! The bright orange beak might indicate boy though...
hu.gif

i just got done feeding my horses and walked down to see how low the canel had gotten and I saw her and she came when I called her. I grabbed her and put her in the chicken pen after I had my brothers put the girls to bed.
I don't think she is a production runner cuz she is'nt tall like the runners.

Last edited:
I was going to guess runner (fawn and white) too, but if she doesn't stand tall, then not a runner... Does it matter? I'd guess she's a mix - a very cute one at that!!
love.gif
Ducks are so much fun, you'll love having her around... Just be careful, they seem to keep multiplying no matter what you do
tongue2.gif

My ducks are in with my chickens, although they grew up with the chickens, and they are now a little bigger, and definitely heavier than my girls. I had a trio of grown ducks that I took in for someone who couldn't keep them, and they were terrified of the chickens, and the chickens weren't too helpful in making the poor things feel at home. They would run up and do karate' kicks to the poor ducks!

At our old house, our ducks would be in the creek all winter, no matter what. Now I'm just planning on trying to keep a shallow rubbermaid container thawed enough for them to play in til it gets warm out again.

At the old house, I fed our ducks and geese sweet feed - along with the horses. They loved it, I never lost a single duck or goose, they were all super healthy, and laid eggs like nobody's business
smile.png
Now I only have 2 ducks with my chickens, and they eat the chicken food... I'm sure some body will have something to say about that
hide.gif
but that's just how I've done things. My birds also free range daily and sleep in the coop every night. They do make special duck food that you can buy.

I know ducks will bond with you better if they are an only duck, but I know my ducks always love a friend of their own kind
smile.png
I hate to wonder if they're lonely, so I just do it so I don't need to wonder
thumbsup.gif

Don't know if I helped at all, but I hope I did at least a little bit!!
lol.png
Your duck is very cute - good luck!

She looks like a runner to me, or at least partially. she has the fawn/white colors like mine. See below. Don't know what sex, can't figure mine out either. : )

28584_ducks_1.jpg

i heard you can tell the sex of a runner by looking at the tail...

males have a curly feather at the bottom and females have a straight feather, or is that with all ducks?

She can eat the chicken food just fine. Just make sure she always has access to water. Ducks drink a lot and must drink to eat. She can live with your chickens just fine, but she would of course be happier with a buddy.

Does she quack? Females have a loud quack and males have a whispery soft voice.

I didn't see a tail curl on your new duck, so unless the picture doesn't show it, I would say female. If you hear quacking, then it's a girl, if the sound is more raspy and not very loud, then a boy.

Back
Top Bottom