It's Official...

PhilH, LOL, she does! (well, sometimes) with a soft toothbrush! If they don't dry well in the brooder, she'll take a very soft toothbrush and brush them out. Now, when she starts painting their toenails, I think we'll all need to do an intervention. LOL.

Seriously, Peeps does have beautiful keets, and her photography is excellent. Congrats on your Lavenders!

@JLeigh.. I thought so... I will keep an eye out for pink nail polish..
lau.gif

The lone lavender keet in the incubator kept moving eggs around so much that another keet hatched around 3:00 PM today.. It was lavender also.. That now makes 5 lavenders out of 21 hatched. I can live with that..

I know I'm getting addicted, but I'm not so bad as to hair brush or (toothbrush) my keets yet...
droolin.gif

lol

Phil

Quote: Holy carp, is nothing sacred???? That's the last "Guinea secret" I share with you, lol. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I need some gorilla tape for you
duc.gif

Now that the cat is out of the bah, yah... I do sometimes fluff (primp) my keets for their photo ops, lol. Some hatch sticky, or take too long to dry and fluff, so out comes the toothbrush (one specifically designated for keets)... or I just wait until they have all trampled all over each other enough to look pretty and fluffed, lol... but a soft toothbrush DOES work good for makin pretty keets!

(And FYI... JLeigh actually took me seriously when I told her to use her hubby's toothbrush to fluff up her keets last season so she could see the head markings better, LMAO
gig.gif
)

Well peeps 3 more hatched and I got another buff that's almost white and I had wrote on its shell cause I saw then hen who laid it and it was the blonde hens. So now I have to assume that the the other was hers too and that dad was the opaline to get it that lite a buff. I did see her mate with him many times and the bronze as well.

Yay Phil!! Congrats on the 4 Lavenders!!!!
wee.gif

It took me 3 yrs to hatch my first Lavender from my flock that started out as only Pearl Greys lol. I hatched nothing but Pearl Greys and Royal Purples from them, so mannnn was I thrilled to see a Lavender FINALLY show up, and then another a couple weeks later. Then I bought a mix of Pied and light colored keets from a neighbor, and was gifted some hatching eggs from a friend that had a Jumbo Pearl Grey male and standard Opaline Hen... and then there was no looking back from that point on. I was HOOKED on hatching as many colors as I could. My first goal was to hatch as many Coral Blues as possible, then Chocolates, then Blondes... etc, just from working with what genes I already had "in the pool", so to speak. I was lucky to have 3 separate bloodlines to start off with.

Holy carp, is nothing sacred???? That's the last "Guinea secret" I share with you, lol. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I need some gorilla tape for you
duc.gif

Now that the cat is out of the bah, yah... I do sometimes fluff (primp) my keets for their photo ops, lol. Some hatch sticky, or take too long to dry and fluff, so out comes the toothbrush (one specifically designated for keets)... or I just wait until they have all trampled all over each other enough to look pretty and fluffed, lol... but a soft toothbrush DOES work good for makin pretty keets!

(And FYI... JLeigh actually took me seriously when I told her to use her hubby's toothbrush to fluff up her keets last season so she could see the head markings better, LMAO
gig.gif
)

You weren't serious about my husband's toothbrush?????????
ep.gif
Actually, the toothbrush idea works. I've had a few "sticky keets" that dried in the brooder, but weren't fluffy. The toothbrush works really well, but the keets hate it of course.

Yay Phil!! Congrats on the 4 Lavenders!!!!
wee.gif

It took me 3 yrs to hatch my first Lavender from my flock that started out as only Pearl Greys lol. I hatched nothing but Pearl Greys and Royal Purples from them, so mannnn was I thrilled to see a Lavender FINALLY show up, and then another a couple weeks later. Then I bought a mix of Pied and light colored keets from a neighbor, and was gifted some hatching eggs from a friend that had a Jumbo Pearl Grey male and standard Opaline Hen... and then there was no looking back from that point on. I was HOOKED on hatching as many colors as I could. My first goal was to hatch as many Coral Blues as possible, then Chocolates, then Blondes... etc, just from working with what genes I already had "in the pool", so to speak. I was lucky to have 3 separate bloodlines to start off with.

Thanks Peeps..

I thought with the adults being all pearl greys, I thought that was what I would hatch. You give me hope..

And it just gets better. I had another one hatch yesterday & it was a lavender also. Now we have 5 lavenders & 16 pearl grey keets..

We only have 6 hens. Looks like one of them is throwing lavender keets..
wee.gif

Happy Happy

Phil

Here's my latest hatch from earlier this week... 29 more keets. They seem so tiny compared to the Turkey poults I've been hatching lately, lol

And my latest hatch of poults... 25 this time, that makes 45 so far, lol.

(The little black one in the cup on the right had a slow/late/rough hatch... and hatched with a messy bloody navel, so I put him in the cup to keep the others from pecking at it. He's fine now, and I can't tell him apart from the other Black poults).

Last edited:
How cute! Love 'em. Can't wait for mine to hatch, and I sure hope they do well hatching since the eggs are so small. I'll send pictures when they do! I promise!

Back
Top Bottom