It's only a school science fair project? Sure it is

QuispamChiks

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 16, 2011
Quispamsis
Well it looks like the adventure into chickens begins today!

The youngest daughter is looking for an interesting topic for her school science fair....
Baking soda volcano nah, been done,
solar system on a hanger, too easy,

Dad?what does sustainability mean? ( where the heck she learn that word?)
Dad? what is a 100 mile diet? (I don't know... closest Mc D's)

Can we put a small garden in? wouldn't it be neat ( yeah neat!) to get a (key word here - "a" as in one) chicken?

so as any good parent, Dad indulges her (much to the amusement of Mother).

As all you faithful BYC'ers know - if you do chickens don't do it halfway!

As any Dad knows - you can't just let the kid do "all" the project by herself - come on now!

so our collaboration begins Dad doing research Kid bribing mother and sisters with pouts and assurances that it will be OK!

First hit on internet BYC! excellent ideas if I have ( er I mean if kid) has any questions pop it in search and 99% of time it has been asked with many great answers.
So off we go - no chickens yet but planning underway wait til snow goes ( yes snow in Canada imagine that!)

measure out yard we can get a 6by4 coop with 15 by 6 run in yard along with 3 or 4 raised beds for garden ( wait where did the garden come from?)

6by 4 for "A" chicken? ( Dad reads too - try 4) (kid reads too try 6)

Well does bylaws in town permit it? We think so but next month appearance in front of planning officials for approval. it is only a science project afterall what town turns down students?
Chicks, pullets ? how soon can you get eggs - after all that is point of "science experiment" - eggs!

little girl kicks in - pout - "chicks would be sooooo cuuute!"
sad.png

( remember no actual animals yet and already negotiating 3 pullets and 3 chicks!)

Dad bringing out inner carpenter digging out hammer and drill and skil saw grunt grunt aka Tim the tool man!

gotta draw up plans! So research looking at coops, roosts, external vs internal nest boxes, hardware cloth, we don' have hawks here but mean bad- a** racoons!, ventilation, heat for winter, baby sitters for vacations etc etc etc !
Man! I am in an egg deficit here paying off sitters, co-workers planning council members with eggs I don't even have yet!

Remember no chickens yet!
hmm.png

So off we go into the adventure that is Backyard Chickens! wish us luck!

(Kid better get an A plus in the course!!!) and I hope she does not take "Chicken Math" because from what I read most of you BYC'ers fail miserably!!!
big_smile.png

will look to keep you all up on the School Science Fair project

As decisions made and should we have success at Planning committe first then i will figure out how to update you with notes pics and report card results!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck with your, I mean her project.
lol.png
It is a great family project. Most chicks usually take about 20 weeks to start laying eggs, but it will be worth the wait. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom