It's only Day 3, but is it possible?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
I know I'm crazy to candle this early, and it's probably not good for the eggs but, I so desperately want this hatch to succeed and since I've never incubated from these chickens before and have no idea whether the eggs are fertile (although there are two roosters & one hen, so the chances are good, lol--they are the neighbor's chickens so I have no control over ratio...)...

Anyway, so I candled and--I'm pretty sure I see tiny veins in a few of them, up near the air cell. All of them look *different*--instead of a single dark blob for a yolk, the yolk seems to have sort of spread itself or something... hard to explain... but I hope all of this is a good sign.

Is it indeed possible that I'm seeing veins? These are bantams of some variety--don't know what--just that they are tiny.

Thank you!!

thumbsup.gif
Yes you can sometimes see veins starting at day 3.My daughter is doing a homeschool project on hatching and raising chicks.She has been candling some every day and it didn't effect near perfect hatch rates. Have 10 pips as I type
fl.gif

Awesome!! Thank you! Good luck on your hatch--that is absolutely the most exciting part--I go into withdrawal a few days after each hatch, because the adrenalin and endorphins from hatching a batch of babies is so strong! lol

I'm homeschooling my crew too. They're not quite old enough for such an ambitious project, but it happens that the eggs I'm incubating right now are for a friend's daughter who is going to raise them.

Will your daughter post results somewhere? Link please?
big_smile.png

I've gotten pretty good about being able to tell if an egg is developing at day 3 or so. It's crazy, but I've only got one wrong of 37 eggs. You can kind of see a circle or something on the yolk. It's strange!

Yes, that's it! I think...

Anyway, I'm too sad to post about it at the moment. I woke up to the eggs in a 77 degree incubator this morning. Someone (probably my toddler) unplugged it last night. I don't think the eggs will make it.
sad.png

I posted on the other post the chicks should be fine
fl.gif

We are doing all kinds of fun stuff-she's only 6 but one of those self motivated pushaholics so we are candling daily my 4 year old has really got into this as well-he's a featherless chicken.We are then watching the hatches and testing all of those old wives tales(just that but its fun) and feather sexing,noting the growth changes etc.
I do want to take her notes and put them in a blog but she's also a Girl Scout and is into Gymnastics so I'm a never at home mom
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom