It's Pumpkin time

LynneP

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Centre Rawdon, Nova Scotia, Canada
One medium sized pumpkin will entertain 12 hens for 6 days. Well worth having a garden:

and they're far quieter when they have one, might be good if you have a noisy hen or two...
lol.png

I had all sorts of problems with my pumpkin crop this year
sad.png
I may only get a few and they will be either the mini variety or just underdeveloped if the make it at all. I have been searching for orgaincally grown ones to no avail. I am so jealous and so are my chooks lol Great idea too I never thought of putting it in whole like that....

We just put one in this morning too. it was starting to get soft, it came from our garden too. They seem to love it and our 10 pullets were very interested...
We are also giving them bean plants. The plants are getting old and there still some beans on them. I pull a couple each day and they love them as well. It's a great way for me to clean my garden up too....
wee.gif

and some of the sweet 100's tomatoes that get away and roll around the garden floor, they love these too.

Melinda

Carefull mine polished off 4 good sized pumnkins in 2 days and it was orange slimey poo all over

eeewwwww
sickbyc.gif

melinda​

You know, I have always cut my pumpkins in half and put them in the run for the girls. I never thought about cutting it the way you did! Great idea! It would definitely make the snack and entertainment last longer!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
In info that I have dried or uncooked beans in a big never feed. It has a toxicity in it called hemaglutin which is toxic to birds. FYI That is the only thing that stays out of the run. The rest of it if fair game for the birds.

Back
Top Bottom