Its so H O T

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mustangrooster, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Its so hot that the chicks in the brooder are panting and just hot. I've been having to switch the brooder light off as soon as it starts to heat up.

Even with the brooder light off they are in the corner panting and still hot!

I’ve been freezing ice every night to put in the birds water, for the wallaby so she can cool down, and the dogs! The other animals just have to find a way to cool down..

I’ve also made frozen chicken treats to help cool them down. All the chickens are panting like crazy.. which means I’ve had to dig holes in the coop everywhere where the dirt is damp-I pulled my shoulder doing that.

I hope the chicks don’t overheat.

This is crazy hot!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You are not heating your whole brooder are you?? Should be only heating one end----no heat what so ever on the other end/side. Chicks getting to hot can have problems and die. What size bulb are you using for your light?

3. mustangrooster

Is just on one side...but the natural heat is making it 5 times more hotter. The light is off now, they are still very hot. I dont exactly know the size of the bulb, its a bit smaller than your usual one.

4. peeper89

peeper89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2017
    How hot is outside? Sound like you need no heat at - chicks panting

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I forgot to ask how old the chicks are?? We were just having a discussion on another post. If you only got a few chicks---I only use a 60 watt bulb held above the floor enough to be around 95 to 100 degree's for the chicks first few days. Then I lift it some to lower the temp about 5 degree's, when it gets to the point I am having to raise it a lot---I go to the next smaller bulb----say 40 watt and lower it back down some, then in a week or so I go to a 25 watt. I do not leave a thermometer under the light----I just use one for a few minutes to get the light set-up. Good Luck

6. mustangrooster

3 days old today. And yes i came across that thread. Good information!

All the other chicks have never been in a hot couple of days like the ones we are having now- so im a bit worried, but i imagine they should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well at 3 days old-----something I feel is wrong----if they were on the far end away from the light/heat---did you check the temp of that end. They should be comfortable with around 95 degree's at that age. I do not think your room temp was hotter than that was it? I am thinking your heat/light is causing that end to get to hot too being its a warm day. But I am guessing.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are they drinking enough water. I don't know if chickens can run a fever but, if they did, I would wonder if they are sick. Is there any ventilation where you are keeping them? Solid brooder or with some wire? Wire top so they get some air and don't try to jump out.

Do you have them in a garage or something? Could you move them to a cooler location like basement?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by