It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Okay so if you want make this a honest thread start an excel file with the recipes
Look at what has been done on the Home bakers thread..
It preserves the recipes for others to look them up say a year of more down the road and allot easier to start it
I've already done that! You can find the link in my first post, you can click on the link in my signature and it will take you to the first post! I've been adding the recipes to it! Thank you Penny, you have contributed greatly to the database, your recipes look delicious! 💞

Last edited:
So happy to see this thread! I love soup!

I found this recipe at a site called Ambitious Kitchen. Nearly all the tomatoes from my garden this year went to this soup, and it’s in the freezer in puree form. When I’m ready to make the soup, I’ll add the caramelized onions and vegetable stock. (Takes up less freezer space.)

Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

For Roasted Tomatoes
3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
8 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper

For caramelized onions
½ tablespoon olive oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced

Additions to Soup
½ cup packed basil leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup

Optional add ins
Light/regular coconut milk for a creamy vegan soup
Whole dairy milk/heavy cream for a creamy texture
Parmesan cheese, for a tangy flavor
A tablespoon or two of butter for richer flavor

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.

While tomatoes are roasting, you can make caramelized onions. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. Usually takes 20 minutes.

Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then add them to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth (My note: I find that my stick immersion blender works best.) Next add basil and caramelized onions and blend again.

(My note: At this point, I put into a freezer container and froze for later use.)

After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium low heat and add in oregano, vegetarian broth, and salt and pepper to taste. From there you can add in any additional add-ons you want (as listed). Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. To serve, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with grilled cheese, if desired. Serves 4.
Welcome! This looks wonderful...thank you for sharing! I love Tomato Basil Soup! 💞

Fish Stew (rock fish or catfish) in one pot

4-6 cups chunks of fish
6 pieces of thick cut bacon or smoked hog jowl cut into pieces.
( my son likes fat back chunks in his, but I don't)
2 cans Rotel if you like spicy or 1 large can diced tomatoes if you like mild
1 small can tomatoes paste
4 cups V-8 juice or 2 cans if you have cans
4 russet potatoes cut into chunks
1 diced onion, 1 diced bell pepper, 2 tsp. diced garlic
Texas Pete ( as much as you want ) 1/4 cup is what I use
1 tsp black pepper, 1-2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 cup ketchup

Fry bacon pieces in large pot, keep drippings. Add onion, garlic,bell pepper and cook until barely soft. add potatoes and stir letting the potatoes cook for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients except fish. Stir together and let it stew for 20 mins to let the flavors mesh.
Careful do not scorch it or it'll taste burnt, which is nasty.
Then add fish chucks and stir. You can add more water to make it soupier or mashed potatoes flakes to thicken to the consistency you like.
Again don't cook so high it'll scorch and burn the bottom of the pot and ruin it. As you can tell I did this one time and was so upset I ruined a whole pot of my precious stew.
You'll know when it's done when the chunks of potatoes are done.
I serve with sweet cornbread or over white rice.
*I'm loving everyone's recipes! :thumbsup

Fish Stew (rock fish or catfish) in one pot

4-6 cups chunks of fish
6 pieces of thick cut bacon or smoked hog jowl cut into pieces.
( my son likes fat back chunks in his, but I don't)
2 cans Rotel if you like spicy or 1 large can diced tomatoes if you like mild
1 small can tomatoes paste
4 cups V-8 juice or 2 cans if you have cans
4 russet potatoes cut into chunks
1 diced onion, 1 diced bell pepper, 2 tsp. diced garlic
Texas Pete ( as much as you want ) 1/4 cup is what I use
1 tsp black pepper, 1-2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1/2 cup ketchup

Fry bacon pieces in large pot, keep drippings. Add onion, garlic,bell pepper and cook until barely soft. add potatoes and stir letting the potatoes cook for a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients except fish. Stir together and let it stew for 20 mins to let the flavors mesh.
Careful do not scorch it or it'll taste burnt, which is nasty.
Then add fish chucks and stir. You can add more water to make it soupier or mashed potatoes flakes to thicken to the consistency you like.
Again don't cook so high it'll scorch and burn the bottom of the pot and ruin it. As you can tell I did this one time and was so upset I ruined a whole pot of my precious stew.
You'll know when it's done when the chunks of potatoes are done.
I serve with sweet cornbread or over white rice.
*I'm loving everyone's recipes! :thumbsup
Hi and welcome! This looks fantastic! I had to look up Texas Pete...:D
I know, everything that's been shared looks delicious!

Here's One from my Family cook book

Elephant Stew
1 med size Elephant
salt and pepper to taste
Potatoes and vegetables as desire by the bushels
Brown gravy, Lots
2 rabbits optional

Cut elephant into bite size pieces, this may take up to two weeks. Place in a very large pot or you can use clean 50 gallon drums. Add brown gravy to cover. cook over kerosene fire until tender, about 4 weeks, may take longer if a old bull elephant is used. Add water as needed. Add the potatoes and vegetables the morning before serving.
This will serve about 3800 people.
Note:If more people are expected, the two rabbits maybe added, but do this only if absolutely necessary as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.

Elephant Stew
1 med size Elephant
salt and pepper to taste
Brown gravy, Lots
2 rabbits optional

Cut elephant into bite size pieces, this may take up to two weeks. Place in a very large pot or you can use clean 50 gallon drums. Add brown gravy to cover. cook over kerosene fire until tender, about 4 weeks, may take longer if a old bull elephant is used. Add water as needed. Add the potatoes and vegetables the morning before serving.
Note:If more people are expected, the two rabbits maybe added, but do this only if absolutely necessary as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.
We have very similar cookbooks...:gig

So happy to see this thread! I love soup!

I found this recipe at a site called Ambitious Kitchen. Nearly all the tomatoes from my garden this year went to this soup, and it’s in the freezer in puree form. When I’m ready to make the soup, I’ll add the caramelized onions and vegetable stock. (Takes up less freezer space.)

Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

For Roasted Tomatoes
3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, cut in half
8 cloves garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper

For caramelized onions
½ tablespoon olive oil
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced

Additions to Soup
½ cup packed basil leaves
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 cups water or vegetarian broth, depending on how thick you want the soup

Optional add ins
Light/regular coconut milk for a creamy vegan soup
Whole dairy milk/heavy cream for a creamy texture
Parmesan cheese, for a tangy flavor
A tablespoon or two of butter for richer flavor

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.

While tomatoes are roasting, you can make caramelized onions. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. Usually takes 20 minutes.

Once tomatoes and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then add them to a food processor or high powered blender and blend until smooth (My note: I find that my stick immersion blender works best.) Next add basil and caramelized onions and blend again.

(My note: At this point, I put into a freezer container and froze for later use.)

After blending, transfer back to pot, turn to medium low heat and add in oregano, vegetarian broth, and salt and pepper to taste. From there you can add in any additional add-ons you want (as listed). Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. To serve, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with grilled cheese, if desired. Serves 4.

That sounds really good, I love tomato soup!

Elephant Stew
1 med size Elephant
salt and pepper to taste
Brown gravy, Lots
2 rabbits optional

you got me!! was reading this, thinking how diverse our members are!

Back
Top Bottom