It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics

drstratton

Enabler
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all...it's not only sweater weather...it's time for soup! I love our Fall weather...crisp mornings turn into warm afternoons, then cool evenings! Which prompts me to pull out my stockpot or Instant Pot & cook up a yummy pot of potato, beef soup or my smoked salmon & corn chowder...plus a few other family favorites! What are your favorite soup recipes?

This link will take you to the Recipe Database!
Soup Recipe Database

If you want to bake some bread to go with your soup and something for dessert too, here is a link to @N F C's baking thread!
Home Bakers Thread

I'll start with my Smoked Salmon & Corn Chowder. I make this in my Instant Pot, but it can be made in a slow cooker or just a soup pan on the stove!

https://www.copymethat.com/r/63BrVtc/instant-pot-smoked-salmon-corn-chowder/
recipe-20171021210742072293qsl6e.jpg

Servings: 4
Ingredients
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 6 slices bacon, chopped
  • 4 1/2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 small onion chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery chopped
  • 6 cups broth
  • 1 Tbs salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or
  • 1 1/2 tsp tapatio hot sauce
  • 1 1/2x 2 red or yukon gold potato cubed (about 2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
  • 1 lb. 2 oz. smoked salmon
  • 3 cups half-and-half

Steps
    • Heat butter on Saute HI.
    • Add chopped bacon and cook to your desired crispness.
    • Add garlic, onion and celery and saute for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
    • Add broth, potatoes, corn and fish.
    • Cook on manual HI for 5 minutes.
    • 10 minutes NPR!
    • Add half-and-half and cook on saute HI until thickened.
Notes
    • I used 2c Turkey Bone Broth & 2c water in place of 4c broth.
    • Made this with my sons fresh caught and smoked Salmon! So Yummy!!!

Last edited:
First of all, this is a really cool thread idea!

Second, here's a recipe that I love! I found it online here . I modified it, so technically I'm not stealing the recipe

(Very Mild) Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
-2 tbs vegetable oil
-1/2 cup chopped onion (you can modify it, there's a good amount since I love onion)
-1 cup green/red/yellow bell pepper
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-3 tbs ground cumin
-1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
-4 (14 oz) cans of vegetable broth (or chicken broth, your decision)
-Salt + pepper
-1 (11 ounce) can of whole kernel corn
Optional ingredients:
Cheddar Cheese
Avocado
Tortilla Chips
Want an extra kick? add hot sauce

Directions:
1) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and bell pepper, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes. Pour in the broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until peppers are not crunchy.

2) Mix corn into soup, cook for 0-3 minutes (according to your liking). Top with cheddar or avacado. Best when a tortilla chip is dipped in the soup :drool

(sorry about the weird cropping on the picture)

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 7.41.38 PM.png

First of all, this is a really cool thread idea!

Second, here's a recipe that I love! I found it online here . I modified it, so technically I'm not stealing the recipe

(Very Mild) Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
-2 tbs vegetable oil
-1/2 cup chopped onion (you can modify it, there's a good amount since I love onion)
-1 cup green/red/yellow bell pepper
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-3 tbs ground cumin
-1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
-4 (14 oz) cans of vegetable broth (or chicken broth, your decision)
-Salt + pepper
-1 (11 ounce) can of whole kernel corn
Optional ingredients:
Cheddar Cheese
Avocado
Tortilla Chips
Want an extra kick? add hot sauce

Directions:
1) Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion and bell pepper, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes. Pour in the broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20-30 minutes, or until peppers are not crunchy.

2) Mix corn into soup, cook for 0-3 minutes (according to your liking). Top with cheddar or avacado. Best when a tortilla chip is dipped in the soup :drool

(sorry about the weird cropping on the picture)

View attachment 2377038
Thank you for sharing a recipe & welcome...I love soup, so I thought it would be fun to see what others favorites are! Your soup looks delicious! 💞

This is one of our favorite soup recipes:

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 Tab. butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
2 Tab. parsley
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
1 Tab. flour
2 Quarts beef broth
1 Cup whole barley
2 tsp salt
pepper

* Melt the butter in a large skillet & sauté onion, celery, parsley, carrot, garlic and mushrooms until soft, about 5 min.
* Lower heat and add flour, stir often for about 5 min. or until thick.
* In soup pot heat the broth. Add the mushroom mixture a cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
* Turn heat under pot to medium-high and add barley. Stir well and add salt and pepper.
* Simmer covered, about 1 hour or until barley is tender and soup thick. Stir often.

Served up with a loaf of crusty bread and you have a nice hot, filling meal!

Mushroom Barley Soup.JPG

Last edited:
Dublin Coddle (an Irish stew)

8 slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 pound pork sausages (I'm using polish sausage, can't get anything like bangers)
1 Tab flour
1 bottle Guinness beer
2 pounds potatoes, peeled & cut into bite sized pieces
2 large onions, cut into slices
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tab fresh minced parsley
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
fresh cracked black pepper
2 Cups beef, ham or chicken broth

* Preheat oven to 300*
* Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels. Leave the bacon grease in the Dutch oven.
* Add the sausages in (a few at a time, don't crowd the pan) and cook on each side until browned. Remove to a plate and when cool enough to handle, slice into 1" pieces.
* Reduce the heat to low, whisk in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
* Whisk in the bottle of Guinness.
* Place half the potatoes in the gravy, followed by half the onions, half the garlic, half the bacon, half the sausage, half the parsley, the bay leaves, the thyme, and black pepper. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients.
* Pour the broth over the whole thing. Place lid on Dutch oven and bake at least 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

NOTE: Between the sausage, bacon and broth, this can be a salty dish. Do not add more salt without tasting first.

Makes 6 servings

This is one of our favorite soup recipes:

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 Tab. butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
2 Tab. parsley
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
1 Tab. flour
2 Quarts beef broth
1 Cup whole barley
2 tsp salt
pepper

* Melt the butter in a large skillet & sauté onion, celery, parsley, carrot, garlic and mushrooms until soft, about 5 min.
* Lower heat and add flour, stir often for about 5 min. or until thick.
* In soup pot heat the broth. Add the mushroom mixture a cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
* Turn heat under pot to medium-high and add barley. Stir well and add salt and pepper.
* Simmer covered, about 1 hour or until barley is tender and soup thick. Stir often.

Served up with a loaf of crusty bread and you have a nice hot, filling meal!
Dublin Coddle (an Irish stew)

8 slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 pound pork sausages (I'm using polish sausage, can't get anything like bangers)
1 Tab flour
1 bottle Guinness beer
2 pounds potatoes, peeled & cut into bite sized pieces
2 large onions, cut into slices
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tab fresh minced parsley
3 bay leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
fresh cracked black pepper
2 Cups beef, ham or chicken broth

* Preheat oven to 300*
* Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels. Leave the bacon grease in the Dutch oven.
* Add the sausages in (a few at a time, don't crowd the pan) and cook on each side until browned. Remove to a plate and when cool enough to handle, slice into 1" pieces.
* Reduce the heat to low, whisk in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
* Whisk in the bottle of Guinness.
* Place half the potatoes in the gravy, followed by half the onions, half the garlic, half the bacon, half the sausage, half the parsley, the bay leaves, the thyme, and black pepper. Repeat layers with the remaining ingredients.
* Pour the broth over the whole thing. Place lid on Dutch oven and bake at least 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

NOTE: Between the sausage, bacon and broth, this can be a salty dish. Do not add more salt without tasting first.

Makes 6 servings
Good morning Debby! These both sound so good!

Back
Top Bottom