It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Looked this up in Grandmas recipe box
Matzo Balls

Ingredients

1 c matzo meal
4 eggs
1 tsp Salt
4 tblsp oil
2 tsp baking powder

Directions

Follow these instructions carefully.

Measure and mix dry ingredients into a bowl.

Individually break the eggs into a clear glass, discarding any with blood spots, and then pour into a second bowl.

Add oil or schmaltz (and water or broth for firm matzo balls) to the eggs and stir gently with a fork until the yolks are broken and the oil just mixed.

Pour egg mixture into the dry mixture and gently mix with the fork.

DO NOT OVER MIX.

Treat it like a muffin mixture; if you over mix they will be tough.

Place in the fridge for 1 hour.

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil on the stove.

After matzo ball mix has set, gently remove teaspoon fulls of the batter and roll into 1-2" balls and drop into the water.

When all the balls are in the water leave it to boil until all the balls float to the top, then lower the temperature to a rolling simmer for 40 minutes and your matzo balls will be ready.

DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.

The matzo balls may be removed from the water with a slotted spoon and served in soup, with a stew, as a side dish with gravy or placed on a cookie sheet and frozen covered for a later use.

Sorry, I posted the wrong tortellini soup. Here is the right one. Slightly more difficult, but it's just adding spices, and the deliciousness is worth it...

• 2 TBS chopped garlic (at least six cloves of garlic)
  • 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 TBS Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 cubes Knorr vegetable bullion
  • 4 c. water
  • 19 oz pkg tortellini
  • 8 oz pkg fresh spinach
Directions

1. In a large pot, heat oil. Add garlic and saute until softened. Add Italian seasoning and garlic salt and stir for about a minute. Add the four cups of water and the bullion. Stir until bullion dissolves and water begins to boil. Add tortellini and turn down to a simmer or 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add the bag of spinach. Stir in until just wilted.
I measured ingredients for the soup today so here’s an actual recipe. Some people strain the broth and serve the matzo balls in it but I keep all that good stuff in there

Matzo Ball Soup
12 cups water
6 chicken breast cutlets
1 Tbsp salt, I used pink Himalayan
3 or 4 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
1 onion, quartered, don’t remove the brown skin
3 carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
Matzo meal

Mix matzo ball dough according to package instructions and refrigerate. The dough has to be cold to make the balls later. Add water through onion to stock pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is almost cooked through; add the carrots and celery and simmer a while longer. Use tongs to remove breast cutlets to a plate and pick out the onion skin, return pot to heat and bring to a boil. Make matzo balls and add to the pot all at once, cover and cook about 30-40 minutes. While the matzo balls cook break up 2 or 3 cutlets into chunks and add back to the pot for the last five minutes of cook time to heat through.
Thank you! I will update the database! 😊

Matzo Balls

Ingredients

1 c matzo meal
4 eggs
1 tsp Salt
4 tblsp oil
2 tsp baking powder

Directions

Individually break the eggs into a clear glass, discarding any with blood spots, and then pour into a second bowl.

Add oil or schmaltz (and water or broth for firm matzo balls) to the eggs and stir gently with a fork until the yolks are broken and the oil just mixed.

DO NOT OVER MIX.

After matzo ball mix has set, gently remove teaspoon fulls of the batter and roll into 1-2" balls and drop into the water.

When all the balls are in the water leave it to boil until all the balls float to the top, then lower the temperature to a rolling simmer for 40 minutes and your matzo balls will be ready.

DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.

The matzo balls may be removed from the water with a slotted spoon and served in soup, with a stew, as a side dish with gravy or placed on a cookie sheet and frozen covered for a later use.
Thank you Penny! What a great resource to have your grandma's recipe box...:love

Mmm, sounds like a good recipe. I've never had matzo balls before... What do they taste like?
Matzo meal is just wheat flour and water that is baked until cracker dry and then made into crumbs, kind of bland so they take on a bit of the broth flavor. It’s a Jewish thing that I learned about when my father was married to a Jewish woman way back when. I like the crackers with tuna.

Matzo Balls

Ingredients

1 c matzo meal
4 eggs
1 tsp Salt
4 tblsp oil
2 tsp baking powder

Directions

DO NOT OVER MIX.

DO NOT STIR AT ANY TIME.

They are not good with schmaltz in my opinion :sick

I use avocado oil for the most part. Why don’t you use vegetable oils?
Do you make your own ghee?
Vegetable oils are highly processed & oxidize in your body...they are very unhealthy for you! They have a higher ratio of Omega 6 in them! I was making my own ghee until I found a large container of it at Costco, for a great price! I also use avocado, olive oil, duck fat, lard & tallow! I use the animal fats for any cooking requiring high heat...I will only use avocado & olive oil at lower temps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom