It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Vegetable oils are highly processed & oxidize in your body...they are very unhealthy for you! They have a higher ratio of Omega 6 in them! I was making my own ghee until I found a large container of it at Costco, for a great price! I also use avocado, olive oil, duck fat, lard & tallow! I use the animal fats for any cooking requiring high heat...I will only use avocado & olive oil at lower temps!
I’ve read the same. I honestly don’t really care for lard but tallow I do. Duck fat I haven’t tried before and the ghee I got I didn’t like. Maybe I should try making my own.

BTW what’s the brand you found at Costco?

Soup is on the menu again today...my sons friend jokingly referred to this as Lava Soup as it was boiling hot when I served it up...he always came back for more!

We used to go to an Italian restaurant and they always served a delicious steak soup as a choice...I played around with ingredients until I came up with the following and we enjoy this just as much!

This is a very adaptable recipe...add any veggies that appeal or remove any that don't appeal to your tastebuds, that being said the soup is best with the tomatoes! I add any fresh veggies at the beginning of the cooking process! Serve this with a crusty bread or rolls...yum!

Hamburger/Steak Soup

1 lb. hamburger (browned) or leftover steak

Onion (sautéed)

Garlic (sautéed)

1-2 Cans tomatoes with chili peppers or you can saute fresh hot peppers with the onions & garlic1

1-2 Cans Chicken or beef broth or homemade bone broth

2-4 Potatoes Chopped into bite size pieces

1 can Black beans or whatever type you prefer

1 can Green beans with juice or (fresh Green Beans added at the same time as potatoes)

1c frozen corn

Worcestershire sauce

Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except green beans and cook until potatoes are tender 20-30 minutes, then add your green beans. You can also add any other veggies you want (Carrots, peppers, corn etc...) (if fresh add with potatoes if canned add at the end). I found this recipe in a book and I am not sure where it is at the moment. This is the basic recipe idea; you can adjust amounts depending on how many people you want to feed. I’m sorry it is not more exact, it is a very forgiving recipe and easy to adjust.
This is what my mother used to make when I was very little. Every time I’ve asked her about it she just said “I don’t remember how to make it”. Thank you so much for posting this!

Hey all...it's not only sweater weather...it's time for soup! I love our Fall weather...crisp mornings turn into warm afternoons, then cool evenings! Which prompts me to pull out my stockpot or Instant Pot & cook up a yummy pot of potato, beef soup or my smoked salmon & corn chowder...plus a few other family favorites! What are your favorite soup recipes?

This link will take you to the Recipe Database!
Soup Recipe Database

If you want to bake some bread to go with your soup and something for dessert too, here is a link to @N F C's baking thread!
Home Bakers Thread

I'll start with my Smoked Salmon & Corn Chowder. I make this in my Instant Pot, but it can be made in a slow cooker or just a soup pan on the stove!

https://www.copymethat.com/r/63BrVtc/instant-pot-smoked-salmon-corn-chowder/
recipe-20171021210742072293qsl6e.jpg

Servings: 4
Ingredients
  • 3 Tbs butter
  • 6 slices bacon, chopped
  • 4 1/2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 small onion chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery chopped
  • 6 cups broth
  • 1 Tbs salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or
  • 1 1/2 tsp tapatio hot sauce
  • 1 1/2x 2 red or yukon gold potato cubed (about 2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen or canned corn
  • 1 lb. 2 oz. smoked salmon
  • 3 cups half-and-half

Steps
    • Heat butter on Saute HI.
    • Add chopped bacon and cook to your desired crispness.
    • Add garlic, onion and celery and saute for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
    • Add broth, potatoes, corn and fish.
    • Cook on manual HI for 5 minutes.
    • 10 minutes NPR!
    • Add half-and-half and cook on saute HI until thickened.
Notes
    • I used 2c Turkey Bone Broth & 2c water in place of 4c broth.
    • Made this with my sons fresh caught and smoked Salmon! So Yummy!!!
Mmmmmmm... going to adjust this to make rooster and corn chowder. Thanks!

I’ve read the same. I honestly don’t really care for lard but tallow I do. Duck fat I haven’t tried before and the ghee I got I didn’t like. Maybe I should try making my own.
Lard isn't my favorite either, but it does work well in some things! I love duck fat for fried eggs & in breakfast gravy...so good! I learned how to make ghee from Urvashi Pitre at Twosleevers. She's from India, so she knows what she's talking about. She also has the most amazing Butter Chicken recipe, if you like Indian food! I also make my own Garam Masala spice mix from her recipe...makes all the difference in Indian cooking! Here's the link for the ghee! https://twosleevers.com/homemade-ghee/
Edit: I forgot to say that I'm hoping to render the fat from the half cow we bought! Hopefully I will get to it by or over the weekend!

Last edited:

BTW what’s the brand you found at Costco?
I just saw the question about the Ghee from Costco. It was Carrington Farms Organic Ghee.

This is the directions to paste to make ghee I have some lemon ghee
I bought off Amazon You can use cheese cloth just as easy maybe easier than a strainer

Making Ghee

Lodge pan light inside
Strainer
Heat proof jar
Ladle

Ingredients

1lb butter

Instructions

Use a heavy bottom pan with a lighter inside for this recipe so you can see what is going on in that pan.

Place the pan on high heat and add the sticks of butter. Allow the butter to come to a boil.

Turn the heat down to where the butter is gently simmering and bubbling. Cook for another 10-15 minutes undisturbed.

Slowly you will see that the milk solids, rather than floating on the top of the pan, have started to sink to the bottom of the pan. The sound of the bubbling ghee will start to change. The bubbles on top get larger, and the sound is akin to popcorn popping

Once the milk solids have settled to the bottom and lightly browned, your ghee is ready.

Gather a strainer, a ladle, and heatproof jar. Slowly pour the ghee through the strainer into the jar. I prefer to use the ladle to do this with, to reduce the risk of spillage as well as to not suddenly add a bunch of hot fat to a glass jar.

Okay! You're done! See?? Wasn't that EASY?

This is the directions to paste to make ghee I have some lemon ghee
I bought off Amazon You can use cheese cloth just as easy maybe easier than a strainer

Making Ghee

Lodge pan light inside
Strainer
Heat proof jar
Ladle

Ingredients

1lb butter

Instructions

Use a heavy bottom pan with a lighter inside for this recipe so you can see what is going on in that pan.

Place the pan on high heat and add the sticks of butter. Allow the butter to come to a boil.

Turn the heat down to where the butter is gently simmering and bubbling. Cook for another 10-15 minutes undisturbed.

Slowly you will see that the milk solids, rather than floating on the top of the pan, have started to sink to the bottom of the pan. The sound of the bubbling ghee will start to change. The bubbles on top get larger, and the sound is akin to popcorn popping

Once the milk solids have settled to the bottom and lightly browned, your ghee is ready.

Gather a strainer, a ladle, and heatproof jar. Slowly pour the ghee through the strainer into the jar. I prefer to use the ladle to do this with, to reduce the risk of spillage as well as to not suddenly add a bunch of hot fat to a glass jar.

Okay! You're done! See?? Wasn't that EASY?
Thank you for sharing this Penny! 💞

Back
Top Bottom