It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
I haven’t tried this one yet because I’m not sure my kids will eat it and it seems like a lot of work but it always look so good when my co worker has it for lunch.

Borsch

Ingredients:

• Diced onions (about ½ medium onion)
• chopped cabbage (about 3 cups)
• 2 cloves of medium size garlic, grated or pressed
• Water or broth (6-8 cups and then add more as needed. For broth I like to use beef, I boil the beef for about 2 hours then remove it from the broth and add it at the end together with beets) You can use vegetable broth, or just water.
• Diced tomatoes, about 2 tablespoons (canned or freshly diced)
• 1 tablespoon of ketchup, or tomato paste
• 2 or 3 medium to large sized peeled beets, may have stems (grate, or slice beets raw; cut up steams)
• 1 or 2 medium carrots (grated, or sliced)
• 2-3 medium potatoes (I prefer yellow, diced)
• Bell pepper, about ¼ cup (diced)
• Fresh dill, (2 tablespoons, diced, I love a lot of dill)
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
• 1-2 Bay leafs
• Optional ingredients: White beans (my grandmother was Ukrainian and she often added them to borsch)
Peel the beets and shred them, cut up stems in about 5mm pieces. Place them in the pot, add about a teaspoon of white vinegar, olive oil, a little bit of salt and black pepper (I do not add water, just cook them in their own juice); cook them covered on low heat until tender.
While beets are cooking:
Sauté carrots, onions, and peppers add tomatoes and tomato paste at the end, cook everything a little longer.
Add diced potatoes, cabbage and sauté vegetables to the pot ofboiled broth (If you would like to add any other optional vegetables (ie. beans, peas, beet greens, etc.) do so now.
Allow soup to simmer on medium until all vegetables are tender(test them with a fork or by biting into them!).
Add beets, pressed garlic, bay leafs and bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat, boil for 2 minutes.
Stir in chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper, and meat if you boiled it at the beginning. Cover the pot and turn it off.
Serve hot with a scoop of sour cream and a slice of bread and butter (rye bread is best!)

I haven’t tried this one yet because I’m not sure my kids will eat it and it seems like a lot of work but it always look so good when my co worker has it for lunch.

Borsch

Ingredients:

• Water or broth (6-8 cups and then add more as needed. For broth I like to use beef, I boil the beef for about 2 hours then remove it from the broth and add it at the end together with beets) You can use vegetable broth, or just water.
• 2 or 3 medium to large sized peeled beets, may have stems (grate, or slice beets raw; cut up steams)
• 1-2 Bay leafs
• Optional ingredients: White beans (my grandmother was Ukrainian and she often added them to borsch)
Peel the beets and shred them, cut up stems in about 5mm pieces. Place them in the pot, add about a teaspoon of white vinegar, olive oil, a little bit of salt and black pepper (I do not add water, just cook them in their own juice); cook them covered on low heat until tender.
While beets are cooking:
Sauté carrots, onions, and peppers add tomatoes and tomato paste at the end, cook everything a little longer.
Add diced potatoes, cabbage and sauté vegetables to the pot ofboiled broth (If you would like to add any other optional vegetables (ie. beans, peas, beet greens, etc.) do so now.
Allow soup to simmer on medium until all vegetables are tender(test them with a fork or by biting into them!).
Add beets, pressed garlic, bay leafs and bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat, boil for 2 minutes.
Stir in chopped fresh dill, salt and pepper, and meat if you boiled it at the beginning. Cover the pot and turn it off.
Serve hot with a scoop of sour cream and a slice of bread and butter (rye bread is best!)
Borsch is so good! Thank you for sharing this recipe! My nephews wife is Ukrainian and she made this for us and then shared the recipe...I've made it...so yummy!

Borsch

Ingredients:

• 1-2 Bay leafs
While beets are cooking:

My son loves this, I'll admit I have not had it yet-or to my knowledge

Interesting! Never heard of that. Ive only tried to make soup once. It was pretty thin after it was done (my roux didnt have enough flour) and I made the mistake of adding more flour at the end to thicken. It ended up a lumpy mess after it sat in the fridge but the day of it was really good. Ever since then I swore off making soup until I found a good recipe
Initial reaction before reading your other posts:
Huh? Its soup. Its supposed to be thin and liquidy, otherwise itd be stew. :lol:

After catching up:
Do you know why you dont like soup or stew? It may help narrow down some recipes you would like. I agree with your comment on salt, alghough my issue is with baked goods. Love (some) salt on my french fries!
@penny1960 said she doesn't use salt just other seasonings so you could start with her recipes if you like.

I’ve started using that Better than Buillon stuff in a jar. I really like it. You could also use Miso other bean paste as a base.

Initial reaction before reading your other posts:
Huh? Its soup. Its supposed to be thin and liquidy, otherwise itd be stew. :lol:

After catching up:
Do you know why you dont like soup or stew? It may help narrow down some recipes you would like. I agree with your comment on salt, alghough my issue is with baked goods. Love (some) salt on my french fries!
@penny1960 said she doesn't use salt just other seasonings so you could start with her recipes if you like.

I’ve started using that Better than Buillon stuff in a jar. I really like it. You could also use Miso other bean paste as a base.
I like a soup to be thick and filling. Usually a thin soup will fill me up but I'm hungry about an hour later. Its just not a sustaining meal. As far as taste I dont like salt or broth. Noodles are for spaghetti. Most meat in soups are bland and flavorless. I've tried dozens of soups and I've disliked them all except broccoli cheese.

Back
Top Bottom