It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Warning...For Onion Lovers only!:D
One of my favorite soups ever.....Allow about 35-45 mins for the onions to cook. Cooking them very slowly over low heat gives the onions a deep golden color, releasing their full flavor. The whole soup takes about 1 hour to make but worth the wait!

Onion Soup
3 Tablespoons butter
4 cups thinly sliced ( I like Vidalia's or Walla Walla's)
1 tsp sugar
1 Tablespoon of flour
4 cups water
1/2 tsp salt (or less if your watching your salt)
1/4 tsp black pepper (Or more if you like pepper)
4 oven safe stoneware or ceramic soup bowls
4 slices of dry or lightly toasted french bread (it keeps the cheese from sinking)
Sliced Swiss cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a large pot, add the onions and cook the very slowly over low heat, stirring often. When you reach the desired golden brown color then add the sugar and flour and cook stirring for another 2-3 mins. Add the water and simmer, partially covered for another 30 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour soup into 4 bowls. lay the the slice of bread on top of the soup in the bowl, this keeps the cheese from sinking and adds more yummy texture in the soup. Lay slices of Swiss cheese over the entire soup surface (it's OK to drape it over the side of bowl like a blanket) then top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Put the bowls in the oven to toast the cheese then serve hot with garlic bread.
It tastes & looks like you've created a master piece, impressing even yourself! 😘

That sounds delicious!

Warning...For Onion Lovers only!:D
One of my favorite soups ever.....Allow about 35-45 mins for the onions to cook. Cooking them very slowly over low heat gives the onions a deep golden color, releasing their full flavor. The whole soup takes about 1 hour to make but worth the wait!

Onion Soup
3 Tablespoons butter
4 cups thinly sliced ( I like Vidalia's or Walla Walla's)
1 tsp sugar
1 Tablespoon of flour
4 cups water
1/2 tsp salt (or less if your watching your salt)
1/4 tsp black pepper (Or more if you like pepper)
4 oven safe stoneware or ceramic soup bowls
4 slices of dry or lightly toasted french bread (it keeps the cheese from sinking)
Sliced Swiss cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese

Melt the butter in a large pot, add the onions and cook the very slowly over low heat, stirring often. When you reach the desired golden brown color then add the sugar and flour and cook stirring for another 2-3 mins. Add the water and simmer, partially covered for another 30 mins. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour soup into 4 bowls. lay the the slice of bread on top of the soup in the bowl, this keeps the cheese from sinking and adds more yummy texture in the soup. Lay slices of Swiss cheese over the entire soup surface (it's OK to drape it over the side of bowl like a blanket) then top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Put the bowls in the oven to toast the cheese then serve hot with garlic bread.
It tastes & looks like you've created a master piece, impressing even yourself! 😘
I only like sweet onion, sauteed in butter & a little garlic salt! I might try this! We live about 2 hours from Walla Walla...so those onions are a big thing around here! Thank you for another recipe! :)

Back
Top Bottom