It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

Pics
Yesterday I made a big pot of ham & potato soup, sure is nice to have now that it's getting so cold.

I use this recipe as sort of a guideline. If I have a carrot that needs to be used, I dice and toss that in. If I have a bit more ham, it goes in and the same with potatoes and celery. In other words, I kind of wing it.

Ham and Potato Soup

3 1/2 Cups peeled & diced potatoes
1/3 Cup diced celery
1/3 Cup finely chopped onion
3/4 Cup ham, cooked & cut into bite size pieces
2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (or some chicken broth)
salt & pepper to taste
5 Tablespoons butter
5 Tablespoons flour
2 Cups milk

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Stir in bouillon, salt & pepper.
2. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour; cook, whisking constantly about 1 minute. Slowly add in milk so lumps don't form. Continue whisking until thick, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir the milk mixture into the potato mixture and cook until heated through.

This will be a bit on the thin side, but gets thick overnight and I think it's best the next day. We like to sprinkle a little shredded cheddar (and sometimes crumbled bacon) on it. Potato soup 3.JPG
Looks fantastic Debby! With your temps, you need something hardy to warm you up!

Do you have a recipe you would be willing to share 😊 he would love a good recipe.
Yes, I really don’t measure so watch a few videos. We like more ginger, like 3x the amount called for in a recipe.My husband doesn’t like the fine in the Asian pear so I peal it off. If I have apples laying around I will add one. The fish sauce makes it more authentic.
Basically, 2 heads of Napa cabbage soak in salt water over night, rinse if it taste to salty
2-3 large pears
1 apple
2 large onions
4-5 med size garlic cloves about 2 tablespoons once cut up
1 large Asian radish
1 cup of ginger
1 cup onion chives
1-2 to 1 cup chili pepper spice (I don’t like the heat, but flavor) our red chili
972558D9-E57F-49E4-9255-F372E47137F8.jpeg
pepper is mild
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
I like to cut into smaller pieces, then add the ACV put into canning jars on the counter for about a week (depending on temp) burp the lids on day 3 & 6 then put in the fridge.

Attachments

• B17C9A80-2542-4877-8BD8-DD34A1EE28A4.jpeg
    B17C9A80-2542-4877-8BD8-DD34A1EE28A4.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 1
Yes, I really don’t measure so watch a few videos. We like more ginger, like 3x the amount called for in a recipe.My husband doesn’t like the fine in the Asian pear so I peal it off. If I have apples laying around I will add one. The fish sauce makes it more authentic.
Basically, 2 heads of Napa cabbage soak in salt water over night, rinse if it taste to salty
2-3 large pears
1 apple
2 large onions
1 large Asian radish
1 cup of ginger
1 cup onion chives
1-2 to 1 cup chili pepper spice (I don’t like the heat, but flavor) our red chili View attachment 2422255pepper is mild
I like to cut into smaller pieces, then add the ACV put into canning jars on the counter for about a week (depending on temp) burp the lids on day 3 & 6 then put in the fridge.

Thank you 😊

2-3 large pears
1 apple
2 large onions
1 large Asian radish
1 cup of ginger
1 cup onion chives
1-2 to 1 cup chili pepper spice (I don’t like the heat, but flavor) our red chili View attachment 2422255pepper is mild

Hey morning thank you nice recipe

Well, nobody went home hungry from my house...or if they did it was their own fault...:gig!
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! 💞

I got busy right away making Turkey Stock in my Instant Pot. I have 10.5 cups of stock ready to go into the freezer! This makes an amazing base for soup! I'll post the recipe and the link to the site where it came from....this is the same site that has the bone broth recipe that I use!

Instant Pot Chicken/Turkey Stock

These Silicone molds are perfect they hold 1c in each compartment!

Thanksgiving 2020 Turkey Stock.jpg Thanksgiving 2020 Turkey Stock Covered.jpg

Instant Pot Chicken/Turkey Stock
  • 2 ½ pounds chicken carcasses
  • ▢ 2 onions (keep the outer layers) , diced
  • ▢ 2 ribs celery , diced
  • ▢ 2 carrots , diced
  • ▢ 2 bay leaves
  • ▢ 4 garlic cloves , crushed
  • ▢ 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
  • ▢ 10 cups water
  • ▢ Your favorite fresh herbs (I never add herbs, I wait until I'm making soup or whatever)
  • ▢ 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)

• 1 tablespoon salt (optional) This is my addition, I add it after I have strained the stock!

Instructions
  • Optional Step - Brown Chicken Carcasses: Brown the chicken carcasses in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker with 1 tablespoon of oil. This will slightly elevate the flavors and result in a brown stock. Then, add 100ml water to deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
  • Pressure Cook Chicken Stock: Add all ingredients in Instant Pot. Pressure cook at High Pressure for 1 hour (the longer the better), then Natural Release.
  • Strain & Cool Chicken Stock: Strain the chicken stock through a colander discarding the solids, then set aside to cool.

Fat Cap: Let the chicken stock sit in the fridge until the fat rises to the top and form a layer of gel. Then, skim off the fat on the surface. Or you can remove the fat cap when you use the chicken stock.

• Use or Freeze: You can use the stock immediately, keep it in the fridge, or freeze it for future use.
Storage:
  • Silicone Mold – We love freezing our chicken stock with this mold!! After they freeze in the mold, we pop them out and store them in ziploc freezer bags. It’s a great portion for many recipes, thaws quickly, and super convenient.
  • Ball Glass Jars – Since we love the silicone mold method, we've never used these specific jars before, but many users have recommended that this brand's wide-mouth straight jar design is great for freezing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom