It's time for me to admit I have a problem...

Pics
I apologize in advance for the somber tone of this post. I'm... feeling some things today. Casper is fine, no worries there. This one is for my previous cat, Keiko.

One year ago yesterday, I spent the evening watching TV with her snuggled up on the couch next to me. She had been sick and wasn't herself for the past week or two, but we'd planned to contact the vet again in the morning and see if there was anything else they could do, if maybe taking her to the vet hospital in the area would be a good idea. Late in the night, I was tired and headed to bed. I didn't want to leave her, in fact I'd considered just sleeping on the couch beside her, but I knew my body would ache for it and decided it was better to sleep in my own bed. She was comfortable and warm where she was, and we had a plan for tomorrow. Things would be okay.

One year ago today, about 3:30 am, I was awakened by a knock on my bedroom door. It was my dad, telling me that Keiko had passed on. I couldn't believe it at first, quickly dressing and rushing down the stairs to the living room. But there she was, lying motionless on the chair, across the room from where I'd left her on the couch. Keiko was gone.

One year ago today, I got up in the morning, and for the first time was not greeted by her when I came down the stairs. For the first time, I didn't see her tucked away in her favorite spots to sleep. I didn't see her in the kitchen waiting for her insulin shot and treat. For the first time in many years, I was without my cat.

I cannot believe an entire year has passed. I have so many mixed feelings about those events last year. I would have given anything to save Keiko, to keep her here with me, but if she was still here when Casper showed up, would I have been able to keep him? Would he have joined the family as well or would we have decided we didn't have the room for him? Casper showed up about 3 weeks after Keiko passed on, and I felt so much guilt for taking him in because of how soon it was. I felt Keiko deserved so much more grieving, she was such an amazing cat. Yet Casper showed up and, well, he gave me a reason to smile again after those three long weeks. I've been told that he showed up for a reason, that Keiko sent him, all sorts of silly things like that. I don't really believe in that kind of thing, honestly. But I am so grateful that he showed up when he did, no matter why he did. Were it not for him, and of course the chickens demanding their breakfast every morning, I'm not sure if I would have found a reason to get out of bed most mornings this past year.

I haven't really looked at Keiko's pictures since around the time she passed, but I thought I would share some of my favorites of her in her honor today.

View attachment 3271071
View attachment 3271069
View attachment 3271075View attachment 3271076
View attachment 3271077
View attachment 3271078View attachment 3271079
View attachment 3271080
View attachment 3271081View attachment 3271082View attachment 3271083View attachment 3271084View attachment 3271085View attachment 3271086View attachment 3271087

This was the last picture I took of her, one year ago yesterday, her snuggled up on the couch by me. 💔

View attachment 3271090

I guess I should have made a Keiko thread, too, years ago when we adopted her. I have so many more pictures of her... I'm so glad I have them to remember Keiko in all her glory. Her time with us was relatively short, about 6 years, but she really was a once in a lifetime cat. ❤️
Beautiful lovely Keiko. So sorry you lost her. She looks like a great snuggler and she had some good nap moves too!
I love that you posted this to remember her by.
:love:hugs

she had some good nap moves too!

She loved laying on her back in the middle of the floor for everyone to admire her. 🤭 She also loved footwear, so if you left a set of shoes anywhere outside of the foyer, she would lay with her paws in them and nap or just look around like she knew she was fabulous. She had a particular fondness for a glittery set of flip-flops my sister had.

Man, I really thought after a year it would be easier to talk about her and look at her pictures. I am starting to get teary smiles out of her pictures instead of just tears, I guess, so there is progress. I sure do still miss her, though.

Anyway.... Back to your regularly scheduled Casper, on this chilly autumn day, we're sunning in the window.

1664304476354.png

Those eyes sure do pop in the sunlight :love

1664304552038.png
1664304588309.png

She loved laying on her back in the middle of the floor for everyone to admire her. 🤭 She also loved footwear, so if you left a set of shoes anywhere outside of the foyer, she would lay with her paws in them and nap or just look around like she knew she was fabulous. She had a particular fondness for a glittery set of flip-flops my sister had.

Man, I really thought after a year it would be easier to talk about her and look at her pictures. I am starting to get teary smiles out of her pictures instead of just tears, I guess, so there is progress. I sure do still miss her, though.

Anyway.... Back to your regularly scheduled Casper, on this chilly autumn day, we're sunning in the window.

View attachment 3273488

Those eyes sure do pop in the sunlight :love

View attachment 3273490View attachment 3273491
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom