It's time to place my vanilla order for Christmas gifts.

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I was about to place my yearly vanilla order and I though I’d share my source if anyone were interested in making vanilla gifts for Christmas.

http://www.theposter.com/vanilla2.html

They
have the best prices that I have found anywhere....their service is top notch and their beans are even better.

According to FDA guidelines it takes 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans per gallon of alcohol to make vanilla extract. As most vanilla beans are ~120 to a pound or 7.5 beans per ounce of weight. A gallon of extract is 128 fluid ounces, so that would mean ~98 beans per gallon or SIX (6) whole beans to make ONE cup (8 fluid ounces) of vanilla extract.

I use 2 – 1/2 gallon bottles of the cheapest vodka I can find.

Remove about 4 cups of vodka from the bottle... I chop my vanilla beans up by pulsing them in my food processor adding a few at a time and then put the pieces into the vodka bottle, then add 3/4 cup of corn syrup per 1/2 gallon of vodka and shake to dissolve. Then top the bottle off with the removed vodka, shake and leave it to soak for about 3 months before Christmas remembering to shake the bottles several times a week. Corn syrup helps extract and develop the flavor from the vanilla pods.

I like to use a variety of vanilla pods it produces a vanilla extract with a much more complex flavor and aroma. I use Madagascar pods as a base, adding Tahitian and Mexican pods for additional flavor/fragrance notes....you can experiment with different types to find your favorite.

When I package the vanilla I strain the bits and pieces out of the vanilla through several layers of cheese cloth and add about 4 fresh vanilla pods per 8oz bottle that I’m going to be giving. I shop around for months (while the vanilla is soaking) picking up interesting looking bottles to put the vanilla in.

I use my leftover vanilla beans and pack them in sugar to make vanilla sugar....it’s wonderful in coffee. The longer you let the vanilla sit in the sugar the more fragrant it gets....I make it the same time as the extract and it needs to be sealed as airtight as possible. It makes a great gift to give along with a special package of coffee and a special cup.

1 Whole Vanilla Bean

2 cups sugar

Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the sugar and stir in.

Push the remaining bean skin down into the sugar.

Store the sugar in an airtight container, placed in a dark cupboard, and occasionally shaking or mixing the sugar.

The vanilla sugar will stay fresh and fragrant for up to one year.

I have made vanilla for Christmas several times. I still use my original bottle from 7 years ago, just add vodka as needed to replenish. It is always well received as a gift. Those are great prices, I know I have paid a whole lot more, I think that last time I bought it was like $70.00 for around a pound or so. Thanks for the link

Last edited:
That sounds awesome. I use alot of vanilla but we get it from a friend who has family in Mexico. He brings us back a new bottle every six months and that is about right. I don't usually run out but its not too much either. I think I would love to try the vanilla sugar. I am kind of a coffee addict and that sounds wonderful!

1/2 ounce morels 95 dollars
ep.gif

Nuggetsowner:) :

That sounds awesome. I use alot of vanilla but we get it from a friend who has family in Mexico. He brings us back a new bottle every six months and that is about right. I don't usually run out but its not too much either. I think I would love to try the vanilla sugar. I am kind of a coffee addict and that sounds wonderful!

I always used mexican vanilla before coming across information like what I pasted here.

"We're talking about Mexican vanilla.

Lots of Arizonans cross the border to pick some up to use when they bake.

Some claim the clear liquid form of the ingredient adds better flavoring and color to their baked goods, but you could also be added a toxic chemical to your food.

That's because most Mexican vanillas contain the chemical Coumarin, which is a key ingredient in rat poison.

If ingested by humans, it can cause liver and kidney failure. Coumarin was banned in United States back in 1978."

Thats when I started making my own or only using 100% pure, you may want to check your bottles for a list of ingredients.​

Nuggetsowner:) :

Some Mexican vanilla contains coumarin, a substance that causes liver and kidney failure in high concentrations.

Coumarin was banned as a food additive in the US in 1940 because of it’s toxicity to the human liver and kidneys.

It’s not going to be listed on the ingredients but if it’s a deal that’s too good to be true it usually isn’t real vanilla.​

BettyR
I think we must have been instantly thinking the same thing! That is what started my quest for a vanilla recipe in the first place.

I live on the border and buy my vanilla, both liquid and beans in Juarez. It's been safe for years and my kidneys and liver are fine. Most people still have the idea that Mexico is some low class third world country that sells babies at every street corner and refills coke bottles dug out of dumpsters. In most instances their products are cleaner than ours and taste much better. I can understand how some might be wary of Mexican products, but I'm not and really enjoy the high quality vanilla I get there. I love your recipe and I'm going to try it with beans I buy there though, it seems simple enough and I'd love to be able to say I made it!

Quote:
Yea, I think so too.

You can get good Mexican vanilla but I wouldn't buy it in Mexico. Our Walmart carries it but it has come through customs and you know it's safe.

Back
Top Bottom