I've been offered free egg eating hens - should I accept?

Quote:
I've had chickens for three years and I wouldn't take them.

Since you are new to chickens you'll encounter enough problems with out taking on this one. It's best to avoid this sort of thing if you can. Build your nest boxes right and you decrease the chances of it happening.

Nest boxes should be just large enough so the hen can get in and do her thing. They should be dark and the opening just large enough for her to get in. I know the books all show those cutsie nest boxes and barrels and baskets. Those pic are posed and not the way nests should be.

Trimming beaks is cruel IMO. I keep wooden eggs in the boxes and hope that it discourages them from eating. I have had a few occasions where eggs were smushed and some looked eaten. But it's not a common thing. Collect eggs often and don't leave them sitting over night.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

First find out how old they are, if they are young look at them, combs red, check their vents red, then they are laying. I doubt they have 20 egg eaters. You could take them (if they are young, a year or less) watch and pinpoint the eggeaters and get rid of them.

I wouldnt take them unless i was going to use them for food. Egg eating hens are a PIA.... AND they can teach your other hens to eat the eggs too.
And i would NOT de-beak them either....
sad.png

Quote:
I've had chickens for three years and I wouldn't take them.

Since you are new to chickens you'll encounter enough problems with out taking on this one. It's best to avoid this sort of thing if you can. Build your nest boxes right and you decrease the chances of it happening.

Nest boxes should be just large enough so the hen can get in and do her thing. They should be dark and the opening just large enough for her to get in. I know the books all show those cutsie nest boxes and barrels and baskets. Those pic are posed and not the way nests should be.

Trimming beaks is cruel IMO. I keep wooden eggs in the boxes and hope that it discourages them from eating. I have had a few occasions where eggs were smushed and some looked eaten. But it's not a common thing. Collect eggs often and don't leave them sitting over night.

I wish you the best,

Rancher

x 2 ...if you are new to chickens...you are probably going to be taking on a headache and it may make your chicken experience stressful and not fun.

Quote:
I would hope if they are your friends they wouldn't give you problem birds. They could sell them. I would ask them if the hens have been getting any oyster shells or crushed egg shells for calcium needs & firm shells on their eggs. Eggs can get broken if all the girls are laying in the same nest or if eggs aren't being collected in a timely manner. Sounds like you got some questions to ask your friends
wink.png

I am completely against de-beaking chickens, BUT you could trim their beaks to prevent the egg-eating. They are totally two seperate things. Though it might be easier just to make roll-away nesting boxes.

To be honest though, egg-eating is highly obnoxious and highly contageous in the flock. It's up to you to decide if you want this particular flock badly enough to put the time and effort into getting around what is considered a BIG nuisance and flock handicap.

Quote:
I don't think trimming will help stop egg eating. But I do agree, they are to different things.
There beaks are like a dogs nail, you trime the non pink area, and it won't harm them. Debeaking you cut half way on the top beak, which hits the sensitive spot and causes pain, if you trim the RIGHT way it's easy and safe. But usually beak trimming isn't needed if chickens are free ranging only when there is a cage, or coop all the time. If your chickens free range you can't really trim there beak because they all ready or it down to as close as needs to be, with having it to long.

Last edited:
when my quail started pecking holes in their eggs, i put egg shaped rocks in the nest. when they saw it they beleived they were getting a free meal and they would peck them to no avail. guess it hurt, because after a few days they werent even touching the eggs after laying them lol

Back
Top Bottom