I've finally got me some Mountain Quail eggs!! Anyone else raise them?

Does the person in Ct, selling Mountain quail eggs, still going to sell eggs for $25/doz
If their prices are that reasonable, could you connect me to them. I'm just starting to raise birds again after a 25 year hiatus. I am retired in New Mexico, and used to raise
Mountains in Pa. I would love to start raising quail again. I had great success in Pa...now I hope to do the same in NM.
Thanks...I appreciate it...Z

Am I really the only person on here that is about to have mountain quail? A site with so many members on it you'd think thered be atleast one other person
Zuni ! sounds like your not to far from me,, Zuni is . a hundred miles or so.. less than a couple of hours ,, every things more than that around here

Vito Bucco, in Beverly, Ma. used to be a great supplier of Mountains. He is a Master Birdsman...he also used to raise grouse/ptarmigans, successfully.
I used to drive up to his place from Pa. to buy eggs & birds...great stock.
Z

Vito still raises a few birds,but he very rarely invites anyone in to see his place anymore.I to use to go to his place and see all the different types of quial,partridges and lady goulians he raises.He is a top notch breeder and person.I've seen him post in the APWS,so I still think he sells eggs.
In N.H.,Tony.

Don Hungsinger in Montrose,Pa raises mountains.So does James Landvader in Hersey,Levi Strltzfus in Gap,and Arthur Wirrick in Lewistown.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
Here in Australia I found a guy selling them for $4 an egg still not sure if I should get some.

i raise mountain quail and gambils. I sell started birds in the fall and a few eggs in the spring . they are harder to raise than bob whites and other quail thats why the eggs cost more.I have 2 breeding colonys of mountains and live in northern maine and they survive very well. not a quail for some one just starting out.

OK-I'll bite. I raise coturnix quail and have not had the first bit of trouble. Except for the almost heart attack that I had the first morning that I went to the barn to see how they fared their first night. AND THEY WERE ALL LAYING ON THEIR SIDES AND THEIR LEGS WERE STRETCHED OUT BEHIND THEM, THEY WERE ALL DEAD---------------------NOT----------------------JUST SLEEPING. Someone should have told me that small curiosity of the quail.

1. So I see several comments on the Mountain Quail that they are a challenge and there are problems in rearing.. Would one of you expereinced QUAIL MEN please tell of some of the problems???? Thanks

2. Another quail question on the Corturnix breed. I have read in several places that LIGHT plays a big part in the size of your birds. Your comments please??? Thanks

1. So I see several comments on the Mountain Quail that they are a challenge and there are problems in rearing.. Would one of you expereinced QUAIL MEN please tell of some of the problems???? Thanks
Toe-pecking and vulnerability to diseases. You should try them some day. They are wonderful birds.

I really don't understand why everyone says mountain quail are SOOO hard to raise. This is my first year raising mountains, and I have had 0 die, and don't give them any more special attention than I give my BWs, pheasants, or chukars. The only thing that I could see that would maybe make them a little harder, is that they don't pick up on learning how to eat and drink in their own as fast due to their parents feeding them in the wild for the first few days. For the first week after them hatching, I raise them with chukars and they teach them to eat and drink with no problems. The only reason I would say don't start out with them, is because its much better to make a mistake and lose a $10 bird than losing a $100 bird.

I really don't understand why everyone says mountain quail are SOOO hard to raise. This is my first year raising mountains, and I have had 0 die, and don't give them any more special attention than I give my BWs, pheasants, or chukars. The only thing that I could see that would maybe make them a little harder, is that they don't pick up on learning how to eat and drink in their own as fast due to their parents feeding them in the wild for the first few days. For the first week after them hatching, I raise them with chukars and they teach them to eat and drink with no problems. The only reason I would say don't start out with them, is because its much better to make a mistake and lose a $10 bird than losing a $100 bird.
There is a trick to getting them to eat.You take a piece of plexiglass about 18" tall,place it at an angle almost up and down,put a piece of papertowel under it so you can catch the feed and feed it back to them.You spray the plexiglass lightly with water from a spray bottle,very small mist,you then throw the feed against the plexi and they actually are pecking at the shinny water drops and eating their feed at the same time.Pick up the paper towel and feed it to them until you think they have enough to eat.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom