I've got a coon! Help please!

We just got security cameras and I decided to put one facing my coop. Just watched video clips of a stinker coon who circled and climbed all over my coop for 4 hours during the night! So, started looking up deterrents and read about cayenne pepper and ammonia. I just sprinkled cayenne powder all around the coop with hopes that it will bother him enough to keep him away for a while, but still anxious. So, please tell me about ammonia. I've read about soaking rags. Should I hang them around on the outside of the coop as long as my girls can't peck on them? Any other ideas?
I'm probably late on this but the raccoon will figure it out how to get in coop. I would set a cage trap with a marshmallow trail to it and put marsh mallows inside and flatten a piece of white bread underneath the cage. I would also suggest 22 rifle and lighting your coop area so you can see them. We had 3 break into our coop and we set up the trap after that and bought rifle. We caught 5 raccoons in the trap and shot about 3 others outside of the trap in that year. Now we have foxes to deal with. They are relentless . Good luck .

If a varmint is in my back yard, he IS harrassing my livestock. SSS. End of problem. Yes, coop is secure at night, and the birds are usually in their run during the day. I let them out into an adjacent pen this morning. Took about 4 hours before one of the hens decided the pen was not big enough, and sailed over the top. Headed straight for my grape vines.

I have one raccoon now. It is beating the outer perimeter to hang in barn for a good 3 hours based on game camera. Going to get it with dog proof traps. Should help get dogs back into game after being stressed by fireworks.

Live trap or leg trap and a gun. Check with your local laws first. If it ever gets in, you will have a disaster. I had a possum get in my chick pen. It was brutal. I got him tho
Did the possum get all your chicks? How did it kill them? I had a roo killed last night and am trying to figure out exactly what did it. Only the roo. The hens were fine.

Did the possum get all your chicks? How did it kill them? I had a roo killed last night and am trying to figure out exactly what did it. Only the roo. The hens were fine.
It ate one and killed 11. We had about 30.We didn't close the little door to the roost and our electric fence got grounded out. That combination made them sitting ducks. We set leg traps the next night and caught it. I was 1st mad at myself. I was super mad with the possum. I would have been OK with just one being ate. I mean it's nature. Killing 11 for shiz and giggles made me furious.

We just got security cameras and I decided to put one facing my coop. Just watched video clips of a stinker coon who circled and climbed all over my coop for 4 hours during the night! So, started looking up deterrents and read about cayenne pepper and ammonia. I just sprinkled cayenne powder all around the coop with hopes that it will bother him enough to keep him away for a while, but still anxious. So, please tell me about ammonia. I've read about soaking rags. Should I hang them around on the outside of the coop as long as my girls can't peck on them? Any other ideas?
I would buy a box trap. You can put anything from eggs, cat/dog food, or tuna in there and just take him for a lovely drive into the endless country. When my birds are not out... I will once in a while put a box trap out and just see what's around my chickens. Sometimes the box is empty for weeks.. sometimes ill catch something. I understand its nature, but its also nature for me to protect what's mine :D . Whatever I catch (raccoon or opossum) is taken for a drive. Check your state laws to make sure you can..

I have one raccoon now. It is beating the outer perimeter to hang in barn for a good 3 hours based on game camera. Going to get it with dog proof traps. Should help get dogs back into game after being stressed by fireworks.
The fire works scared my gobbler so badly he flew the coop and a coyote got him.
I would buy a box trap. You can put anything from eggs, cat/dog food, or tuna in there and just take him for a lovely drive into the endless country.
Check your local laws. In some places it's illegal to relocate some animals without permission.

Back
Top Bottom