I've got an ADDICTION!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Domestic_goddess, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I just had a thought running through my head and I wanted to hear from all of you. I've seen alot of post of about how husbands are going to be upset, because you bought too many chicks or eggs. Or if your like me you start out with your first little group of chicks or eggs and then you just can't stop buying them. Or you can't help yourselves when your in the feed store. What do you think makes it so addicting and why is it addictive? What do you love about your chickens?

Maybe for me is the success of raising baby chicks is rewarding and it's a fun hobby something else to keep me busy during the day. Maybe I love getting all those beautiful fresh eggs everyday, Maybe I see these noisy, stinky, quirky things as my pets that I have grown to love.

What's your thoughts, why are you addicted?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

My youngest daughter love the chickens. When I say love that is an understatement! Even on the coldest winter days (- 10+) she will be outside with them, holding them, getting pooped on - again - lots of laundry! She just turned 6. We have the most friendly chickens & roo. So, she is the key, I started out with 6 hens last year.

Now we have:

10 hens & 1 roo (1 yr old)

8 chicks (5 weeks old)

16 silkie chicks (3 weeks old)

14 day olds and 22 more eggs in the bator

Hmmm... Yup we've got a problem AND WE LOVE IT!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jransmith

jransmith Out Of The Brooder

Me, too, me, too! Don't know why I'm addicted. But I love their little fluffy butts, love hearing our roos crow, love watching them scratch and peck, love collecting eggs, love hearing the little peeps. It just makes me happy. Told hubby he was lucky! I don't need diamonds, I just need more chickens.

Now I am anxiously awaiting shipment of an incubator and I am sure I will love hatching eggs, too.

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Hubby is calling this "chicken-therapy" at my house. Gives me something else to think about besides all the stressful things in the world.
    I mean, really, is there any other kind of calm so rewarding as you get when you go out to chore, water/feed, and come back with breakfast? [​IMG]
    So yes, the first step is admitting addiction, then I'll happily admit. I'll admit to the excitement of fuzzy butts, the hatching eggs, the candling too many times to see the wiggle, the "gotta have that breed next" fever, gotta build a bigger coop/brooder/etc. I've got it all. (And it's expensive).

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

JRANSMITH - Ohh love that!! DH just yesterday demanded 1 whole day without mentioning the word "chicken, chick, or anything related to chickens" I think the chickens vs. diamonds thing might just work! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I do not have to worry about my DH getting mad at me about it - he started it! I just became more obsessed than he did. We because addicted because we knew NOTHING about chickens, and found out the are funny, entertaining, cute, soft, wonderful animals. And we get EGGS! [​IMG]

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    My family feeds each others addiction.

8. jransmith

jransmith Out Of The Brooder

"If lovin' chickens is wrong I don't wanna be right"[​IMG]

9. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:I absolutely agree, great statement:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by