I've got blackhead

That is too bad about your AG office.

I see you are in CA, and I am not familiar with the testing you have to have there. But I know we can call our tester's from TX A&M and they are most helpful with these type's of questions.

Where I live in TX a case of blackhead has not been seen in well over 10 years, but we don't have avian flu either. I think it is just too hot.
somad.gif

I hope it get's figured out and good luck.
big_smile.png

I also called UC Davis and all they could tell me was that there is blackhead in CA. I know of people North and South of me that have had it, and none of those have reported it to any agency, so I might also call the ag offices in their counties, lol, see what they say.

I'm on a mission!
lau.gif

-Kathy

I also called UC Davis and all they could tell me was that there is blackhead in CA. I know of people North and South of me that have had it, and none of those have reported it to any agency, so I might also call the ag offices in their counties, lol, see what they say.

I'm on a mission!
lau.gif

-Kathy
You Go Girl!!
hide.gif
But I still am a firm believer in take poo to the vet, take the dead bird in for testing, know what you are dealing with in your own flock.
And if there is blackhead in your area it is an easy fix. You pick what you are going to raise chickens or turkey's, not both unless you have enough acres to get them far apart.
And people should always report suspected illnesses, that make's it hard on everybody else to keep their own flocks healthy.

But still Kathy you make those agencies do their jobs!
thumbsup.gif
Stay on their hiney's until they do.

I have turkeys, chickens, peafowl and ducks free ranging on 7 acres and I also have blackhead, so I manage it by keeping the peachicks and poults off the ground as long as possible and then watch for the signs and treat them with metronidazole when/if they get sick.

Necropsies in CA are free for chickens, turkey and waterfowl, but they charge $120 for gamebirds, so unless I can get them to waive the fee, like I did for the last peachick, I do my own. FYI, the peachick's cause of death was a ascites due to a heart defect... Go figure, surprised me and the pathologist.

-Kathy

I have turkeys, chickens, peafowl and ducks free ranging on 7 acres and I also have blackhead, so I manage it by keeping the peachicks and poults off the ground as long as possible and then watch for the signs and treat them with metronidazole when/if they get sick.

Necropsies in CA are free for chickens, turkey and waterfowl, but they charge $120 for gamebirds, so unless I can get them to waive the fee, like I did for the last peachick, I do my own. FYI, the peachick's cause of death was a ascites due to a heart defect... Go figure, surprised me and the pathologist.

-Kathy
But see, you are on top of things!!! I love to hear when people stay proactive.
I have everything also with geese, guineas and quail, except the Peas, I sold all of mine. I do have Emu's does that count?
lau.gif

All of mine free-range also except my breeder's and they are all in pen's. We are on 12+ acres and also raise Boer goats and Rodeo Bucking Bulls. It is so much fun.
But $120. that is steep, it should be free.

My husband works at the state labs so I'll have him wander over and personally accost people about it. lol I've had good luck so far with our state agencies. I've had bugs identified and birds dealt with. I'll give our AG office a try. I have a lot of acres but only 1 barn and since that's where the electricity and running water is all my flocks will be hanging around that. I've decided I'll decide if I ever want to do turkeys again after I taste these ones.

That is great you have such good resources available to you.

Turkey's are very yummy, I raise 10 breeds. I only eat a couple of the breeds just because they are prettier dressed.
But they are my loves, well turkey's and Naked Necks.

That is too bad about your AG office.

I see you are in CA, and I am not familiar with the testing you have to have there. But I know we can call our tester's from TX A&M and they are most helpful with these type's of questions.

Where I live in TX a case of blackhead has not been seen in well over 10 years, but we don't have avian flu either. I think it is just too hot.
somad.gif

I hope it get's figured out and good luck.
big_smile.png
I'm moving where you are in Texas . I had a friend last year that had to deal with black head and this Summer I dealt with Foul Pox. I'm in the Houston Area.

I'm moving where you are in Texas . I had a friend last year that had to deal with black head and this Summer I dealt with Foul Pox. I'm in the Houston Area.
lau.gif
Well and part of it is I have a bunch of Guineas, Geese and Ducks, so I have no bugs of any kind. And we keep mosquito dunks in all of our ponds, so we haven't seen fowl pox at our house in 10 yrs or better. The blackhead we just don't have it in our county, or so says the AG office. But I have never seen it.

Back
Top Bottom