1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I've got the breed, but the color has me confused

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bootsandbeaks, Apr 3, 2017.

1. bootsandbeaks

bootsandbeaks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Nevada
    I hatched what I thought was several black and cuckoo Orpingtons. The Cuckoos should all be single cuckoo. Any way, this little chick cropped up and has made me curious. At a week old, I can see the cuckoo pattern on the cuckoos and the blacks are getting their black feathers over the initial white wing feathers. This chick is an exception. That almost looks like lacing. Not all the eggs I hatched were my own, so surprises crop up. Is it possible that this is not a Black Orpington? (There is an awful lot of white on the head too) Any guesses at what color it might be? I know it will be more obvious in a few weeks, but I enjoy the guessing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I had a Cochin that looked like that and I thought for sure it would be mottled but it feathered in all black, so it may be a black orpington with weird down lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by