Ive had a bad day with my mini flock!

sethsleader

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Portreath
Ive had my girls for 5 weeks and Ive had a Staffordshire Bul Terrier for 5 years, so I watched the dog whisperer on you tube for tips on how to get a harmonious home. I train Mary (the dog) every day. Today was the first day off the lead and everyone was getting along nice until Mary sat in the sunny spot. Shirley attacked Mary with vigor. Then all four of the girls started pecking and flapping at Mary.
ep.gif
My poor dog is now inside shaking like a leaf.
sad.png

Is there a chicken whisperer out there that can help? I have a normaly placid flock and my only concerns was with the dog. How wrong could I be!!

No-one takes Shirley favourite sun spot. Watch out for the guard chickens
hide.gif

If you go to the pest and predator section you can read dozens of posts of the family dog attacking the flock... I didn't expect a "man bites dog" story.

Never the less, I am sorry about your bad day. It would be nice if you could find a bit of peace among your pets.

Mobbing it is a natural bird behavior. Have you ever seen a flock of small birds gang up on a crow or a hawk? They must see Mary as a threat. Maybe some supervised time together might help.

Maybe Mary's just a the bottom of the pecking order! I hope she never decides to get revenge.

Good Luck!

was the first time I let them spend 5 minutes alone and I was watching nervously from the kitchen. I couldn't believe my eyes. Poor Mary, she will have to go into the front garden now, my girls are the queens of the back yard! well thugs!!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom