I've had an accident

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newham0614, Jan 23, 2011.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    When i was turning my eggs i accidently dropped one and it rolled into another. They are both lightly cracked but not leaking. Should i give them a chance? Or do you think they've had it?[​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I've heard of people covering the cracks with wax?

3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

It depends, how old are they?

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You can try melted candle wax to seal it and put it back in a see what happens. Shouldn't hurt anything and it just might work. I just now read a thread from someone whose cat knocked it out of her hand and dented it and that chick hatched!! Pretty neat. She named it Humpty Dumpty! Good luck with yours. [​IMG]

5. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

You can cover it with wax, make sure it's not scented or colored but it will be just fine.

6. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, seen the wax thing too... sealing the cracks with UNSCENTED melted, candle wax, lightly. Read one post I believe where someone put too much wax on and the chick made it until the end but then it couldnt get out with all the heavy wax on it and ended up loosing it after all. Never done it, only read about it.

7. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    thanks for responding so quickly. I will try that . these eggs are only a day old so hoping they make it.

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I had one hatch that I cracked right before setting. I sealed it with unscented candle wax. If you don't seal them they will dry out too fast.

9. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I also read somewhere of people using clear fingernail polish to seal cracks...???

10. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I had one hatch this afternoon that was BADLY cracked, big dent in the end with the air sack, I used a little tea light candle that was not scented and very lightly put wax on the eggs via dipping in a Q-tip into the melted wax.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by