I've had an "oops" moment .....

DTRM30

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Ok, so I got lazy and didn't collect eggs for a few days. It's not the first time. But, Now I have 4 eggs that have chicks growing in them. I have one bantam silkie roo - and he's never been able to manage to accomplish anything with the big girls before, (not even his own little group of silkie girls !) so I didn't think too much of not collecting eggs. I've always candled prior to collecting (well, actually, I just toss them in the woods for the critters) when it's been a few days just to be sure, though (and out of curiosity) - and never a speck of anything.

Soooooo .... now I have a slight problem. 1 - I'm not sure how old the eggs are - I think around day 7/8 but not positive. Saw 3 out of the 4 embryos moving around last night. But - it's hard to see b/c they are all green eggs from my LF easter egger. One is fairly dark and looks farther along than 8 days (closer to 10), but like I said, they're hard to see through with the dark shells.

I'm also going on vacation Friday and won't be back until the 11th ... Think I'll be OK ? I just don't want them to hatch while I'm gone. I need to get some chick food - and will have to be sure they make it back into the coop at night. Don't want any left behind outside. My chicks in the past (before i had my roo - bought chicks/fertile eggs) have always taken a couple of weeks to learn how to get up the ramp into the coop. (it's elevated).
Also, I'm going to take a guess that in the 9 days I'm gone, I'll likely have a few more chicks on the way.

So, I guess what I'm asking is - what is your guess on the age of the eggs ? I think it was about 3/4 days that I hadn't collected eggs. And last night I def. saw movement. That has been another 3 nights. Does day 7/8 sound about right based on seeing movement ? (taking into account that I may have missed a few eggs the last time I collected, and that they have been incubated since day one b/c I have 4 broody hens right now - 3 silkies and 1 Buff Orp that will peck HARD when I try to collect from her - I have to hold her head w/one hand and slip under wtih my other LOL) that means I should have hatching around the 14th. Yes?

Should be interesting to see what a BBS bantam silkie roo x LF easter egger will look like. I hope they are hens, but my luck they'll all be roos, and I won't be able to keep them. The one guy I have now is trained fairly well. He's quiet in the morning until I open the coop door around 8am.

Anyway, lesson learned ! No more being lazy LOL :)

I've never seen more than veins and a big dark spot (eye maybe?) around the week mark. If you're seeing movement, that makes me think they're further along... Either way, it can't hurt to make sure there's a waterer and some all flock of some kind inside the coop when you leave on vacation. She probably won't try to lead them out of the coop for a while. If you're worried about one falling out,then just tack a 4-6" board across the bottom of the pop door...

Yup - I actually have 4 broodies right now (I have 13 hens and my one little silkie roo). I'm going to have my Mom stop by and check on them mid-end of the week I think. I just hope they make good mommies - they're all first timers.

I already have a board across the door - to help keep the bedding in (they like to scratch around in it and a lot comes out into their pen making a mess when it gets soggy). Hadn't thought about it serving to keep the chicks in though. Good idea.

Hmmm. I was hoping not quite that far along. It is what it is I guess. I suppose I'll have to stop on my way home from work and pick up some crumble/chick feed. All I have is pellets (less mess) - and find a place for the waterer inside the coop. Only problem there is they kick the bedding into it and within a day or two it's all gooped up with bedding.
sad.png
That's why I keep it outside now. It's easier to deal with chicks hatching when your home. I guess even if they are further, they can manage a couple days anyway w/o feed. I don't like to do that, but at least if they come toward the end of the week, they'll still be OK.
barnie.gif

That's what happens when things are unplanned eh ?
cool.png

Anyhoo, I saw lots of veins, and darker area and some small moving shadows. I've only hatched a few times, and can't quite remember at what point I started to see the embryo moving. But light colored eggs sure are easier to see through to tell what's going on inside than these green eggs ! And I'm using a very bright LED light, too.

I've found if I candle both ends of a dark egg at the same time, you can see very well what's in there. For a good resource on development, go to the "Learning Center" at the top of the page. There are very good pictures on stages of development.

I've found if I candle both ends of a dark egg at the same time, you can see very well what's in there. For a good resource on development, go to the "Learning Center" at the top of the page. There are very good pictures on stages of development.
Very cool Bobbi, I'm going to try it. It's impossible to candle my FBC Marans eggs.
wee.gif

fb

Thanks bobbiej - I tried that tonight - didn't do too well - it's hard to hang onto to two lights and the egg ! Yikes ! I've been trying to compare, and I'm thinking teach1 may be right - they're looking closer to 10/12 days. bummer. That's not good - I'm worried they will hatch while I'm gone. I'l be gone for 9 days so it's going to be close. I've put all under the broody hen that is higher in the pecking order than the other three - hoping that will help if they hatch while I'm gone.
Well, I'll just hope for the best - wish me luck !

My "candler" was a round oatmeal box with a 1" or so hole in the end and a flashlight standing on end. I put the box over the flashlight (DH's 4-cell Maglight, so it was VERY bright) and held the egg (large end down) over the hole with another bright light ( a candling light that came with the incubator that was actually useless by itself) held against the top end. So I was only holding onto the egg and the top light. Oh, I had the flashlight standing up in a jar so it wouldn't tip. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom