I've had it. I need fox advice.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mooches, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Mooches

Mooches Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    I came home from work yesterday to what amounted to a chicken war zone. A fox jumped the chain link fence and killed 5 hens and Scooby my Roo. We were having a problem with a hawk who has been taking out my silkies but this was too much. I understand foxes having to eat but he just pulled their heads off and left them there! Hubby caught him in the act thank god or there would have been more. Bold little thing came right back while we were standing there.
    Anyway, we re going to try to trap it. Hubby wanted to shoot it but according to the environmental police, you can't unless you have proof that it was gonna cause you harm. I guess I'm suppose to interview the adorable (can't they be ugly like opposums? It would be so much easier to hate it) little guy.
    We are getting a Have A Heart trap from a friend. What is the best thing to bait it with?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Why ask for permission or input from the enviro police.The dang fox already killed so just trap and/or shot it. SSS

Bait it with your dead chickens.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Very sorry for your losses!

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    google "dirt hole set" or "flat set" these both work very well for me the possum is the size of a cocker spaniel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Most fox won't enter a live trap,you could try and disguise it with some brush and branches,and it must be free of any human scent.

7. Mooches

Mooches Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Little bugger came back this morning like we though and hubby shot at him with a BB gun to scare him which it did but I'm sure he'll be back. Hubby works in law enforcement and didn't want to take any chances as far as calling the police. We live in a residential area and you can't shoot within 500 yards of a home even though it is fox hunting season and it might be hard to explain why he was shooting his service revolver out the window. He can' take the chance at losing his permit. The fox is coming from the woods in the back.

Thanks for the trap suggestions. Hubs is looking them up. I'll let ya know how it works [​IMG]

@ Darkmatter LOLOLOL

8. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    This is my remedy for Coyotes, Fox, and garden raiding Groundhogs.

[​IMG]

Never fails.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:google "red fox cage trapping drift fencing" the top coupla links are pretty good they lay out how to successfully use cage traps I dispatch coyote sized critters and smaller in town often without firearms

10. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I got a dog bred to rip foxes in half. You can't tell by this picture because he's just a baby (5 months). [​IMG] That and about 700 feet of 2x4 wire. He will get bigger but there has yet to be a fox sighting anywhere near the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by