I've never seen an egg do this!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melissa F, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Melissa F

Melissa F Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    This morning I collected an egg that had a crack lengthwise along the egg...just the shell was cracked, but the membrane was still in place. I put it on the counter with the other eggs, and my son noticed it and asked about it. I told him that I figured it froze, and we'll decide if we will eat it later.
    Well, about 6 hours later I finally got around to dealing with the eggs and the crack is completely gone! The egg is so smooth, and I can barely see a thin pale line where the crack was- so thin I wouldn't see it except I was looking for it! I would have thought I imagined the crack to begin with, except for the fact that I had a conversation about it with my son. I've never seen anything like this! Can an egg shell heal itself? Makes me even more appreciative of the wonder of eggs!

2. barnaclebob

barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    It was likely just frozen enough to crack the egg and slightly split the shell. When the egg thawed it shrunk and the shell went back together. The crack is still there, the sides are just touching now.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I concur.

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    And it's most likely ok to eat as well! :)

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I agree with the above. When it froze, it expanded and cracked. As it thawed, it contracted making the crack appear to close up some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by